The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has now made it mandatory for all vehicle owners to use FASTags starting from midnight of February 15th, 2021. Vehicle owners who fail to install FASTags on their vehicles will be charged double the toll amount.
FASTags are available with different providers such as banks, Paytm, petrol pumps and more. One can also buy the electronic toll collection tags from Amazon India, and toll plazas across India. The list of banks offering FASTags includes Airtel Payments Bank, SBI, IDFC, Axis Bank, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Karur Vysya Bank, Punjab National Bank, South India Bank, Bank of Baroda, IndusInd Bank, Yes Bank, Union Bank and others.
In this article, we tell you all you need to know about Airtel FASTag, including how to buy and activate, required documents, recharge process, cashback offers and more.
What is Airtel FASTag?
Airtel FASTag allows automatic cashless payments at toll plazas, eliminating the need to wait for long hours for cash transactions. In other words, they are prepaid rechargeable tags for toll payments. The FASTag uses Radio Frequency Identification Technology and is attached to the windscreen of every vehicle.
When the vehicle passes through the dedicated FASTag lanes at toll plazas, the toll charges will be automatically deducted. Airtel FASTag is currently operational across more than 500 toll plazas across state and national highways.
Airtel FASTag: benefits
- With Airtel FASTag, you don’t need to stop at the toll plazas for cash transactions. When the vehicle approaches the toll plaza, the amount is automatically deducted.
- The customers need not carry cash anymore for toll payments.
- Airtel allows multiple payment options to recharge FASTag. They include debit card, credit card and internet banking.
- Airtel sends SMS alerts to the registered mobile numbers of the vehicle owners post every successful payment. Hence they can keep track of their payments.
- The Airtel FASTag comes with 5 years validity upon purchase, and you only need to recharge FASTag as per your requirement.
- Further, Airtel is offering 5 percent cashback incentive on all Toll payments at the National Highways.
Airtel FASTag: required documents
Before you apply for Airtel Fast tag, it is imperative to check the list of required documents. They include:
- ID Proof and address proof
- Passport size photograph of the vehicle owner
- KYC documents as per the category of the vehicle
- Registration certificate (RC) of the vehicle.
- Driving license
How to apply for and activate Airtel FASTag?
Follow the step-by-step guide below for Airtel FASTag activation:
- Download the Airtel Thanks app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store
- Click on ‘Discover Airtel Thanks’ on the Homepage
- Navigate to the Rewards section and click on Airtel Payments bank FASTag banner
- You then need to enter your vehicle number and upload your RC ( both front and back portions), and complete the payment process.
- The Registration certificate (RC) of your vehicle will be verified within 2 working days.
- Post successful verification, the FASTag card would be delivered to your mentioned mailing address within 4-7 days.
- You can also check the Airtel FASTag status by clicking the FASTag banner under Discover Airtel Thanks rewards section.
Airtel FASTag: fees
Airtel levies a one-time FASTag joining fee of Rs 100 and Tag Reissuance fee of Rs 100. Vehicle owners further need to pay a refundable one-time security deposit amount depending on the vehicle type. Customers need to maintain a minimum balance amount of Rs 150 in the main account to facilitate toll transactions. The FASTag fees and charges vary depending on the vehicle type, the particulars of which are mentioned below.
|Vehicle Class||Description||Security Deposit (Rs)||Threshold amount (Rs)|
|4||Car / Jeep / Van||200||150|
|5||Light Commercial vehicle 2-axle||200||300|
|6||Bus– 3 axle||200||500|
|6||Truck – 3 axle||200||500|
|7||Bus 2 axle / Mini bus, Truck 2 axle||200||500|
|12||Tractor / Tractor with trailer, Truck 4, 5 & 6 -axle||200||500|
|15||Truck 7-axle and above||200||500|
|16||Earth Moving / Heavy Construction Machinery||200||700|
How to recharge Airtel FASTag?
Airtel FASTag customers can load money into their linked Airtel payments bank account/wallet. They can do so using multiple payment options such as internet banking, credit card, debit card and UPI from Airtel Thanks app. Upon successful loading, Airtel blocks the minimum balance for FASTag. They can then recharge/top up your FASTag account from time to time based upon your requirement.
Discount/cashback on toll payments using FASTag
Airtel customers can avail 5 percent cashback on toll payments made using FASTag at National highways. The cashback for a particular month will be credited to the user’s FASTag account in the subsequent month, after receipt of funds from Indian Highway Management Company Limited (IHMCL).
Airtel FASTag cashback offer: get Rs 100 cashback using Airtel Thanks app
Airtel is offering Rs 100 cashback upon bundled purchase of FASTag along with certain Airtel prepaid plans. The cashback is applicable for transactions made through the Airtel Thanks app. To be eligible for the cashback offer, you need to have a registered Airtel mobile number and a vehicle.
How to avail Rs 100 cashback on FASTag purchase via the Airtel Thanks app?
Check out the step-by-step guide to avail Rs 100 cashback on FASTag purchase through the Airtel Thanks App.
- Download the Airtel Thanks App from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Login to the app using your registered mobile number.
- Click the ‘Discover Airtel Thanks’ banner on the homepage.
- It takes you to the next page, where you need to click the “Claim Now” option to get Rs 100 cashback.
- The Rs 100 cashback amount will be credited in your Airtel Payments Bank Account/Wallet.
How to close or deactivate Airtel FASTag account?
In case of transfer/selling of a vehicle, it is important that you get the FASTag account closed/deactivated. As one FASTag is linked to a particular vehicle, the buyer of the vehicle will not get a new FASTag issued for the purchased car. To add to this, the toll payment will continue to be deducted from the source account with linked FASTag.
One of the common ways for deactivation/closure of the active FASTag account is to approach the customer support of the service provider. Airtel customers can dial 400 from their registered mobile number, and non-Airtel customers must make a call to 8800688006 and raise a deactivation request to block the active FASTag account. Upon successful deactivation, the customers can claim a refundable security amount of Rs 200.
Airtel FASTag customer care number
In case of any queries/ grievances, customers can dial 400 if they have a registered Airtel mobile number. Else, they can dial the Airtel care number 8800688006. Customers can also drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for the same.