The unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) was created to issue Unique Identification numbers (UID), named “Aadhaar”, to all citizens. The system is intended to be robust enough to eliminate duplicate and fake identities and to ensure verification and authentication in an easy, cost-effective way.
Thus, your Aadhaar data must be always accurate and up to date. Aadhaar details that can be updated are:
- Demographic information: Like Name, Address, Date of Birth/Age, Gender, Mobile Number, Email Address, Relationship Status, and Information Sharing Consent
- Biometric information: This includes Iris, Fingerprints, and Facial Photograph
That 12-digit unique number on your Aadhaar Card helps to enable various services in both government and non-government services. These include subsidy benefits, pensions, scholarships, several social benefits, banking services, insurance, tax, education, employment, and healthcare, among many others.
Now is the perfect opportunity to change or revise your registered mobile number on your Aadhar Card. The UIDAI is currently providing this service free of charge on its online portal until June 14th. Indian residents are urged to take advantage of the myAadhaar portal to update their information without incurring any expenses. Alternatively, the process can be carried out at physical Aadhar centres throughout the country, but that will involve a fee. Here’s your complete step-by-step guide on how to change your registered mobile number on your Aadhaar Card.
How to change my mobile number in Aadhaar?
If you have not registered your mobile number while enrolling for Aadhaar, you must visit a Permanent Enrolment Centre to complete it at the earliest. Registering and updating your mobile number is mandatory to ensure that you can make any Aadhaar changes online. While making changes online, a one-time password (OTP) is sent to the registered mobile number to verify and authenticate the user – that is you.
However, you cannot change your mobile number online. You must visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre or Permanent Enrolment Centre to change your mobile number. No documents need to be submitted in order to change your mobile number. Please remember to carry your mobile phone and, of course, the Aadhaar Card.
How to find out the closest Centre
You may have moved to a new location, or you may have registered at a temporary enrolment centre earlier. In either case, you may be looking for a Centre closest to, or in your locality. Just follow the steps mentioned below to locate the Centre closest to your choice for address:
- Log on to the website
- Under “Locate an Enrolment / Update centre near you”, you’ll find three options. You can search for the nearest Enrolment Centre by selecting either “State”, “Postal (PIN) code”, or entering details in “Search box”
- Fill in the details and the “captcha”
- Click on “Locate a centre”
- A new page will open showing details of Enrolment Centres located near the address of your choice
How to update mobile number at Enrolment Centre
Once you have identified the Centre, you can walk in there and request for an update.
- You must carry your Aadhaar Card
- Ask for an Aadhaar Update/Correction Form and fill it up accurately
- Submit the form to an executive at the Centre
- Pay the requisite fee (Rs. 50)
- You will now receive an acknowledgement slip with an Update Request Number (URN)
- Anytime you wish to check the status of your request, you will need to furnish the URN
- Your mobile number will be updated in Aadhaar’s database in about 90 days
How to Check Aadhaar Card Mobile Number Linking Status Online
In case you have recently registered your mobile number with your Aadhaar account, or you have more than one mobile connection, and you want to verify the number linked to UIDAI records, please follow the following points
- Go to the UADAI website and select your preferred language
- Take your mouse to “My Aadhaar” and hover over it
- A drop-down menu will now appear
- In the dropdown menu, gently move the pointer to “Aadhaar Services”
- Now click on “Verify Mobile Number/Email ID”
- A new page will open, and request you to log in. In the spaces as mentioned, enter your 12-digit Aadhaar Number and the captcha as given
- Now click on “Send OTP”
If your mobile number is registered, you will get the OTP. If not, then you will not be able to receive it. Once you have logged in, you will get the message that your number has been verified.
Why do I need to update my phone number in Aadhaar?
UIDAI sends messages and updates to your registered mobile number. Also, in case you intend to avail of online services for Aadhaar, you will need to authenticate your identity with an OTP sent for the purpose. Thus, it is mandatory that you register and update your mobile phone number.
Are any documents required to be submitted while updating a mobile number?
No documents are needed to be submitted when you update your mobile number. However, always remember to carry the Aadhaar Card to the Enrolment Centre.
Can I update my mobile number changes online?
You cannot change the mobile number registered with your Aadhaar Card online. It requires a physical visit to the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre or Aadhaar Seva Kendra to link your Aadhaar card to a mobile number.
What are the charges for updating details on Aadhaar Card?
For any change in demographic details, like your mobile phone number, the charge levied is Rs. 50. If you need to update any biometric changes or more than one field, charges for the Aadhaar Update will be Rs. 100.
If my mobile number was registered with my Aadhaar, do I need to link the phone with an Aadhaar card?
When you register your mobile number with an Aadhaar card, it is considered as linking your phone. You do not have to take any other action.