COVID vaccination drive in the country is currently in full swing with everyone above 18 years of age being eligible for the vaccine. The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi declared that the central government would procure and supply COVID-19 jabs to states for free to inoculate all above 18 years of age. He stated that of the total vaccines available, 75 percent will be procured by the government and the remaining 25 percent will continue to be available to private medical institutions.
To get registered for the COVID-19 vaccine, individuals have to register themselves on the CoWIN portal. As part of the ‘liberalised and accelerated Phase 3 strategy of Covid-19 vaccination’, anyone above 18 years of age can get vaccinated now, whereas the earlier age limit was 45. Here’s everything you need to know.
CoWIN: what is it?
The CoWIN portal and app have been launched by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) and the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). The platform is designed to effectively roll out and scale up the mechanism for the COVID-19 vaccine distribution system.
Who can register for COVID-19 vaccination?
Any individual in the country above the age of 18 can register for vaccination using CoWIN, Aarogya Setu, and other third-party apps like Paytm.
How to register for the COVID-19 vaccine on CoWIN portal?
The process of signing up for the COVID-19 vaccination is quite simple. You have to follow the below steps to get yourself registered.
- Go to the CoWIN portal
- Register or sign in using your mobile number and OTP
- Provide your ID proof details, name, gender, and year of birth
- Click on register
- The system will show the “Account Details”
- On the Account Details page, you can further add three more people by click on the “Add More” button
- Once you’ve added additional people, click on ‘Schedule appointment’
- Enter your pincode
- Click ‘Search’ to find the nearest vaccination center
- Choose your preferred center to see the date and availability
- Pick your preferred date and time slot
- Click on the ‘Book’ button
On successful completion of booking, you’ll receive an SMS on the registered mobile number. That confirmation details will have to be shown at the vaccination center.
How to register for the COVID-19 vaccine on Aarogya Setu app?
If you have the Aarogya Setup app on your smartphone, you can follow the below steps to get registered for the vaccine.
- Open the Aarogya Setu app on your smartphone
- Click on the ‘CoWIN’ tap on the homepage
- You’ll see four options – Vaccine Information, Vaccination, Vaccination Certificate, and Vaccination Dashboard
- Tap on the “Vaccination” tab and then Enter your mobile number
- Click on “Proceed to verify”
- Enter the OTP and again tap “Proceed to verify”
- You’ll be asked to select a photo ID type, photo ID number, name, gender and year of birth on the next page
- You’ll then be asked to upload the proof of eligibility
- You can then check for vaccination sites by state, district, block and pin code
- The app will display the date and availability for your preferred vaccination site
- Click on the ‘Book’ button
- You will receive an SMS with vaccination appointment details
How to register for the COVID-19 vaccine offline?
For people who are unable to complete the registration process online, there’s a provision to do so easily. Such users can directly visit the nearest vaccination center with required documents and get themselves registered. Those over the age of 60 can simply carry their government ID proof.
According to the CoWIN website, the walk in registration and vaccination is now open to 18+ age group as well. Anyone can visit the nearest vaccination centre with required documents to get vaccinated.
How to reschedule the vaccination date on CoWIN portal?
Individuals can reschedule the vaccination appointment anytime from the CoWIN portal but before the vaccination appointment date. Below are the steps to reschedule your vaccination date
- Open the CoWIN portal login page
- Enter the mobile number with which you registered
- Do the OTP verification
- Click on the calendar icon under the Action column
- Select a new slot
How to find nearby COVID vaccination centres?
There are several methods to check for nearby COVID-19 vaccination centres. Easiest among these methods are through CoWIN, WhatsApp, and Google Maps. Below we will list step-by-step process for each of these methods.
How to find nearby COVID vaccination centre through CoWIN portal
When you register for the COVID-19 vaccination on the CoWIN portal online, the website itself will show you the nearest vaccination center based on the state, district, block, and pincode provided by you. The feature is powered by MapmyIndia, the Indian navigation app.
- Download MapmyIndia app or visit MapmyIndia website or CoWIN portal
- In the search box, press current location or enter your address
- Click search / vaccination centres
- You will see the nearest vaccination centers to you
- You can click on ‘Get Directions’ to further get exact turn-by-turn directions to the center
How to find nearby COVID vaccination centre using WhatsApp
You can now conveniently look for a nearby vaccination centre through WhatsApp. Here’s how you can do so.
- Open WhatsApp on your smartphone
- Tap on the new chat button in the bottom right corner
- Select New Contact and save 9013151515 under MyGoV Corona Helpdesk name
- Now search for the MyGoV Corona Helpdesk in your contacts and start the chat by saying Hi
- You’ll receive an automated response with an elaborate menu
- Send 2 to select Vaccination Centres and FAQs
- Next, send 1 to select COVID Vaccination – Centres Related Information
- Next, you’ll be asked to provide your 6-digit pincode
- Once you send your Pin Code, you’ll be sent the list of the vaccination centres close to your location
- You can send another pincode if you want to check vaccination centres in another area
How to find nearby COVID vaccination centre using Google Maps
Google Maps has also introduced a simple method to find nearby COVID vaccination centre on its platform. Here’s how to use the service.
- Open Google Maps on your smartphone or web browser
- Search COVID Vaccination centre near me
- Google Maps will show you a list of centres offering vaccination
- The app will also show you details like distance from your location, availability, documents required and more
- You can simply choose the centre of your choice and start navigating
Bear in mind, since there is no walk-in facility for 18-44 age group, you’ll have to register on CoWIN or Aarogya Setu app beforehand to get vaccinated.
What is the price of COVID-19 vaccine?
While PM Modi has announced free vaccine to states for inoculation of all above age 18 from June 21st, the central government has announced the price cap for COVID vaccine rates in private hospitals. The Union Health Ministry has announced that anyone overcharging for the vaccine will have to face appropriate action.
The maximum price for Covaxin and Covishield has been capped at Rs 1,410 and Rs 780 per dose, respectively. Whereas, the Sputnik V vaccine from Russia will be charged at Rs 1,145 per dose. These charges are for private hospitals, whereas, individuals can get vaccinated for free in government hospitals and facilities.
The vaccine will continue to be free for the eligible population including Health Care Workers (HCWs) and Front Line Workers (FLWs), among others.