Gmail is one of the most popular email services in the world. The email service developed by Google claims to have a total user base of over 1.5 billion. Its popularity is driven by the fact that it is free and is easily accessible on the web as well as third-party clients that synchronize through POP or IMAP protocols.
In the past few years, Google has been focusing on making Gmail more than an email service. By adding the option to connect any of the other Google apps such as Drive, Google Docs, Calendar and so on, Gmail is becoming a value addition to a user.
This does not stop with mere integration. Google lets you add a new calendar event or create a spreadsheet using Google sheets or share a file using Drive using your Gmail account. In other words, all you need is a Gmail account. While anyone can create a Gmail account for free, Google makes it convenient to log into Gmail from various platforms. Here is how.
How to login to Gmail on mobile
On a smartphone, you are mostly signed into your Gmail account automatically at the time of setup. It is especially convenient on Android, an open-source mobile platform developed and promoted by Google. However, if you have logged out or deleted the app or need to add another Gmail account, here is how you can do that.
- Open the Gmail app on your mobile device. It can be iPhone, iPad or an Android smartphone.
- Tap the “Sign in” button at the bottom of your screen if you are signing in for the first time.
- If you already have an email account linked to the Gmail app and want to add another then tap on the profile icon shown at the top right corner alongside the Search mail bar.
- Click on the profile icon and then select “Add another account”.
- On the next page, tap on “Google” and you will be redirected to the Sign-in page. On iPhone, you will need to tap on “Continue” to allow Google to sign into your account.
- In the next step, enter your email address and click on “Next” and enter password to sign into your account.
- You can also click on the box next to “Remember me” to stay logged into your Gmail account.
How to login to Gmail on a computer
In order to log into Gmail on a computer, you will need a computer running Windows, macOS or ChromeOS or Linux. You will also need a web browser like Microsoft Edge or Safari or Google Chrome. Once you have these basic tools, fire up any browser of your choice and go to www.gmail.com and enter your account information.
When prompted, enter your password and click next to start accessing your email. If needed check the “Remember me” prompt so you can stay logged in automatically. If you are logging in from a friend’s device or using Gmail on a public network, don’t forget to uncheck the box and log out as soon as you are done.