A lot of us want our profile to appear on Google Search when people look up our name on the web. Until now, only prominent personalities have shown up when searched for by name. The search engine giant has now introduced a new feature called ‘People Cards’ in India. It allows individuals to create a digital profile or virtual visiting card to build their online presence and become discoverable.
In a blog post, Google stated that ‘The new feature is aimed at helping the millions of individuals, influencers, entrepreneurs, prospective employees, self-employed people, freelancers, or anyone else out there who wants to be discovered and help the world find them.’
🆕 Introducing the people card on Google Search.
Showcase your business, passion or portfolio when people search for you on Google.
— Google India (@GoogleIndia) August 11, 2020
How to create your People Card on Google
For now, the Google People Card can be created only on mobile devices. The display of search results will also be limited only on phones. Cards are also available in English for now with more language support to be rolled out in future.
- To create their card, users need to log in to their Google account (on Google app or Chrome browser) and search for ‘add me to search’ which will display ‘Add yourself to Google Search’.
- Users will have to tap on ‘get started’ and then choose your Google account (if you have multiple accounts).
- The previous step will take the users to the People Card page where you have to fill information like bio, links to social media profiles and other details.
- After this, users will be asked to provide their phone number for verification purposes through a six-digit unique code to continue.
- Users can choose whether they want to make their mobile number and email address publicly available or not.
Google claims that with people cards, it aims to provide helpful and reliable information to the public. Only one people card is allowed per Google account to limit fake profiles. For people with the same names, the search will display multiple modules and information that can help distinguish between different individuals to find who you are looking for.
‘We have a number of mechanisms to protect against abusive or spammy content, and if you come across low-quality information or a card that you believe was created by an impersonator, you can tap the feedback link to let us know. If you no longer want your people card to appear in Search, you can delete it at any time.’ Google added in its official blog post.