Grand Theft Auto 5 mods make anything possible within the game. You can shoot vehicles from your gun, drown an entire city in a Tsunami, fly vehicles into the stratosphere and even play as a cow if you want. Though out of the box Grand Theft Auto doesn’t give you the support for adding mods, modders have been active in the gaming community, and you can find plenty of mods for your Grand Theft Auto 5 game.
If you’re interested in modding GTA 5, you can follow this quick walkthrough of how to download, install and activate mods on GTA 5. Though installing GTA 5 mods is fairly simple, there are some protocols you have to follow. Otherwise, it can crash the game or not work as intended to be. In order to fully install GTA 5 mods, you must have some pre-installed files. With that being said, let’s look at the complete process for downloading, installing, and activating GTA 5 mods.
What are GTA 5 Mods?
Game modding is a popular trend for open-world sandbox video games. Usually, most of these mods are created via third-party companies or individual modders. These mods alter the default gameplay by adding new game assets. From enhanced gameplay to powerful character modelling, you can achieve pretty much everything in GTA 5.
Some of the most popular GTA mods provide ultra-realistic graphics, realism, Tsunami mode, Just Cause 2 Eject + Parachute Thruster mods, and many others. In order to install these mods, you must have some prerequisites ready. Here is a list of things you’ll need to successfully install mods on GTA 5.
Install Script Hook V
Script Hook V is a library of files created and assorted by Alexander Blade. It allows users to write scripts into the game and hook it directly to the installation destination of the game. Script Hook V is one of the basic tools you’ll need to install GTA 5 mods. Here is a quick walkthrough of how to install Script Hook V on PC.
- Open Google Chrome or any web browser installed on your computer.
- Go to www.gta5-mods.com and navigate to the Script Hook V + Native Trainer section.
- Download Script Hook V on your PC.
- Once downloaded, go to the download folder and unzip the file.
- Now, copy-paste the ScriptHookV.dll file into GTAV’s main folder.
- If you’re using Steam, copy and paste this file into \SteamApps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\.
- Now, follow the same steps and copy-paste the dsound.dll file into the destination folder of GTA 5.
- For Native Trainer, you can follow the same set of steps and copy-paste the NativeTrainer.asi file into the same destination.
GTA V LUA Plugin
The LUA Plugin is the second main requirement for installing GTA 5 mods. Once you’ve installed Script Hook V, you can proceed with installing GTA V LUA Plugin. Here is how to install LUA Plugin for GTA 5.
- Firstly, download the LUA Plugin from this link
- Once downloaded, unzip the folder and look for a folder called ‘scripts’ and a LUA.asi file
- Move both of these files to your GTA 5 destination folder
- If you’re using Steam, copy-paste the files to \SteamApps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\
- Now, for any future modding, you need to drop the LUA files in this folder
- You can leave this folder empty for now
- This concludes the basics of installing mods on GTA 5
List of GTA 5 Mods
You can find thousands of GTA 5 mods on many different websites. Each mod offers something unique and interesting in terms of gameplay. Here is a list of the top 30 GTA 5 mods of all time.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Bomb
- Gravity Gun
- Incredible Hulk
- Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul
- Complex Control
- Los Santos Zombie Apocalypse
- SweetFX GTA graphics enhancer
- Open All Interiors
- Vehicle Cannon
- GTA Expanded Field Of View
- Ripplers Realism
- The Red House missions and heists
- GTA V Remastered
- Force Field Mod
- Grand Theft Space
- Visual V
- No Water + Tsunami + Atlantis Mod
- Ghost Rider
- Vice City
- Iron Man
- NaturalVision Gangster’s Paradise
- GTA 5 Virtual Reality
- R enhancer Photorealism
How to get GTA 5 mods on PC
There are multiple ways to get GTA 5 mods on your PC. The most common method is to download them via third-party websites. However, you have to make sure not to download them from illegal websites. Here is a list of websites you can use to download GTA 5 mods on your computer.
- Reddit: GTAV_mods
- Reddit: GrandTheftAutoV_PC
How to install GTA 5 mods?
Now that we’ve completed the long list of prerequisites, we can finally proceed with downloading the GTA 5 mods and installing them on the system. Here is a quick walkthrough of how to download and install GTA 5 mods on PC.
- Firstly, download any Mod from your preferred website.
- Once downloaded, unzip the file and locate the file with a . LUA extension.
- Drop the file into \SteamApps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\scripts\addins folder.
- Once you’ve completed these steps, open the game and press the U key to activate the mod.
- Some mods have different trigger buttons.
- Please read the “readme” file of each mod and check for the instructions.
- That’s it, this is all you have to do to install mods in Grand Theft Auto 5.
How to activate GTA 5 Mods on PC?
There are many different GTA 5 modes available on the internet. These mods allow players to manipulate the in-game elements and push the game to its limits. Once you’ve installed the mods, you can press their corresponding keys to activate or deactivate them. Among the many different key combinations, you can open a mod menu by pressing the F8 key. After that, navigate to the mod from the overlay screen and select the desired mod by pressing the num 5 on the keypad.
GTA 5 Mods: Should you use them?
Rockstar never had any issues with game mods. These mods don’t affect your game for the single-player GTA V games. However, Rockstar doesn’t approve mods for GTA Online. The use of mods depends upon your sole decision. If you want to improve your gaming experience then you should definitely use some mods. Overdoing can cause malfunctions that’s why it is recommended to keep the mods on the lower side and play the game as it was intended to. Lastly, watch out for any malware-infected files and keep your computer safe.