India is a mobile-first country where digitisation has become a mantra of sorts. Every industry and organisation is going digital. Even payments have gone digital allowing for a rapid change. In the face of this change, vehicle owners in the country are also rapidly evolving. Documents are being shunned in favour of digital ID cards.
Driving license has transformed from a booklet to a smart card. If you drive a bike or a car then you must not only know about this change but also adopt it. With the smart card driving license, there are other benefits like storing them in a digital cloud system. Here is everything you need to know.
What is a Smart Card Driving License (SCDL)?
A Smart Card Driving License (SCDL)) is basically your existing license now in the form of a card. Consider this equivalent to several debit and credit cards already in your wallet. It is also akin to your PAN card and has a smart chip embedded in it.
This chip includes information such as your biometric data stored in the Regional Transport Office (RTO) servers. This new smart card is compact, portable and can even be termed as durable. It not only eliminates the need to carry a booklet but drives digital change. If you have an old driving license then it is easy to get a Smart Card Driving License.
How to apply for Smart Card Driving License online
If you are applying for a new driving license then it should come in the form of a smart card driving license by default. Here is how you can apply for a driving license online.
- Visit the Parivahan Sewa website run by Government of India’s Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Go to the Online Services drop down menu and select ‘Driving License Related services’.
- Select your state and then the RTO (if prompted).
- Select the ‘Apply Driving License’ option on the next page if you have a learner’s license. Else, apply for a learner’s license first.
- Follow the process by filling in applicant details, uploading documents, photo and signature.
- Now, book a driving license test slot and pay the fees as applicable.
- Visit the RTO for the test as per the schedule.
- Once you pass the test successfully, the smart card driving license will be sent via post.
How to apply for a Smart Card Driving License offline
- Visit your nearest RTO and ask for an SCDL application form. Make sure to collect the forms related to declaring physical fitness and medical certificate at the same time.
- Fill the form with required details and submit your application with relevant documents attached.
- You will be required to pay the necessary fee based on the type of vehicle for which you are applying for a driving license.
- Make the payment and collect the receipt for the same.
- Now, select a time slot at which you would like to attend a driving test as per your availability.
- Appear for the test on a chosen slot and you will be directed towards the biometric collection centre after passing the test.
- You will receive your SCDL via post sent to your registered address.
Smart Card Driving License: what are the advantages?
If you already have the old booklet type driving license then you might wonder what’s the need to go through the ordeal of applying for a new version. But Smart Card Driving License comes with benefits that are unique. It brings portability and security to a segment that was an afterthought for many years. Here is a look at some of the advantages.
- The information with Smart Card Driving License is stored in a secure form.
- As an updated type of driving license, it also stores biometric information of the driver.
- The information on the chip is tamper proof and cannot be read by common people.
- The traffic police can read the data only using a hand-held device provided to them.
- SCDL prevents creation of fake driving licenses.
- It is durable and easier to carry than the old format.
How to convert paper driving license to SCDL
- Visit the nearest RTO.
- Ask for a license upgrade form or Smart Card Driving License form.
- Fill the form and attach all the relevant documents.
- Submit biometric information.
- Pay applicable fees.
- Collect the receipt and use it until the arrival of SCDL.
- SCDL will arrive via post on your registered address.
List of documents needed for transfer of old driving license to SCDL
In order to convert your old booklet type driving license to Smart Card Driving License, you will need to provide supporting documents along with the application form. Here is what you will need.
- Current driving license
- Address proof
- Any other specific document asked by the RTO official.