Amazon Prime membership is one of the most rewarding subscriptions in the market right now. What started as a subscription for fast and free delivery has evolved to include free video, music and e-books as well. For the price, Amazon Prime membership does offer a lot more than the price.
In India, Amazon Prime membership is reasonably priced compared to other parts of the world. At the time of writing this, Amazon Prime membership is available in two different tiers. The annual plan offering 12-month subscription is priced at Rs 999. There is also a quarterly plan with three months subscription available for Rs 329. The monthly subscription priced at Rs 129 seems to have been discontinued. However, Amazon Prime membership is not something everyone would want to use.
There is a possibility that you shop online on platforms that are not named Amazon. You might have a subscription to Netflix and Disney+ Hotstar and won’t be needing Amazon Prime Video. On the music front, Spotify and Apple Music trump Amazon Music easily. For reading on your Kindle, you don’t necessarily need a Prime membership unless you want to read only free e-books. So, in that case, you might want to unsubscribe from Amazon Prime. Here is how.
Cancel Amazon Prime subscription on desktop
- Go to www.amazon.in from any compatible web browser and login to your Amazon account.
- Now, navigate to the top right corner of the webpage and click on “Account & Lists” of the webpage.
- From the drop-down menu, click on the ‘Your Prime membership’ section.
- Scroll down the webpage and look for “End Membership and Benefits” options on the left side of the webpage. Click on it.
- On the next page, Amazon will ask for your confirmation on whether you want to end your Prime membership. It will try to convince you to stay onboard as a Prime member.
- On this page, you will see three buttons named as Keep my membership, Continue to Cancel and Remind me later.
- Click on “Continue to Cancel” if you don’t want to retain your Prime membership.
Remember, that Amazon will remind you about benefits of Prime membership multiple times before you cancel. If you have paid for your Prime membership but who have never used its benefits, then according to Amazon, customers could be eligible for a full refund.
However, if you have used the benefits, you could be eligible for a partial refund based on the remaining time in their membership. However, if you are still in your 30-day free trial period, then you would not have been charged and thus the refund is not applicable.
Cancel Amazon Prime subscription from the app
You don’t necessarily need the desktop to deactivate Amazon Prime. You can do that either from the app or from the mobile site as well. Here is how.
- Download the Amazon app from Google Play Store or App Store.
- Login to the app using your Amazon account.
- Click on the three horizontal lines at the top left hand corner.
- Tap on Prime and then select “Manage My Membership”.
- Now, you will see three options named “Keep my membership’, “Continue to Cancel” and “Remind me later”.
- Click on Continue to Cancel and accept the prompt once more to cancel your membership.
Amazon Prime membership: how much refund will you get on cancellation
Amazon explicitly states in its terms and conditions that Prime membership fee is non-refundable. However, there are scenarios where the e-commerce giant will offer refunds for all those who have subscribed to the Prime membership. This refund is applicable in the event that you cancel your Prime membership.
In the case of the annual Prime membership, if you cancel the subscription within 3 business days of signing up for such paid Prime membership, Amazon says it will issue a credit note to the customer and refund the full membership fee. But this refund comes with a caveat that the company might charge you (or withhold from your refund) the value of Prime benefits used by you and your account during the 3 business days.
If you cancel the annual Prime membership at any other time, Amazon will again raise a credit note to you and refund your full membership. This is subject to you not having made any eligible purchases or taken advantage of Prime benefits since your latest Prime membership charge.
In the case of cancelling a monthly Prime membership, the membership fee will be refunded only if you have not made any eligible purchases or taken advantage of any of the Prime benefits since your latest Prime membership charge.