One of the most popular subscription businesses is Netflix, which allows customers to subscribe and watch over-the-top content. In fact, Netflix is so big that the company recently announced that it has surpassed 200 million paying subscribers at the end of the fourth quarter of 2020. While Netflix has been growing, it is seeing new competition emerge in the form of Disney+ Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV+ and much more.
Netflix is also the most expensive OTT platform in India, with monthly subscriptions starting at Rs 499 per month and going up to Rs 799 per month. This could be one of the many reasons you might look at cancelling your Netflix subscription. If you need to do so, here are the steps.
How to unsubscribe from Netflix
Before we get started, it is important to note that you can cancel your Netflix account only through a web browser. You cannot end your subscription using the app available for various platforms. Even on the app, if you try to make any changes, you will be taken to a web browser. With the context set, let’s go ahead and cancel your Netflix subscription.
- Go to www.netflix.com on any browser of your choice.
- Login to the service using your account details.
- Once logged in, you will see a downward-pointing arrow in the top right corner next to your profile.
- Click on the arrow and from the drop-down menu, select the “Account” option.
- Now, on your left hand side, you will see Membership & Billing Section.
- Click on “Cancel Membership” and confirm your decision to cancel your subscription by clicking on “Finish Cancellation”.
In some cases, you may not see the option to deactivate Netflix on the website. This could be because of your billing provider. You might have subscribed to the service using iTunes or on your Smart TV. In that case, contact the provider and use the network’s online service.
How to cancel Netflix on iPhone
If your subscription is billed through iTunes then you can cancel your Netflix membership using your iPhone or iPad. While it was a bit complicated earlier, Apple has made it much easier now. Here is how.
- Open the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Tap on your name and then select Subscriptions. You might be asked to sign in.
- Select the subscription that you want to manage.
- Finally, tap on Cancel Subscription. If you don’t see cancel, then the subscription is already cancelled and won’t renew again.
How to cancel Netflix on Mac
- On Mac, go to the App Store.
- Click on the sign-in button or your name at the bottom of the sidebar.
- Click View Information at the top of the window. You might be asked to sign in.
- On the page that appears, scroll until you see Subscriptions and then click on Manage.
- Click Edit next to the subscription that you want to cancel.
- Click Cancel Subscription. If you don’t see Cancel Subscription then the subscription is already cancelled and won’t renew.