WhatsApp is the most popular social messaging app in the world. The Facebook-owned messaging platform has amassed over two billion monthly active users. During the pandemic, it has become the backbone of communication for a lot of users around the world.
The social messaging service allows users to send or receive messages, voice calls, video calls between individuals or groups using the internet. Since it is a cross-platform service, the app works on Android as well as iPhone. You can also use WhatsApp on the web but the features are limited right now. If you have still not got on the WhatsApp train then here is how to get started.
How to create a WhatsApp account
Whether you use an iPhone or an Android smartphone, the process to create an account is the same. All you need to get started is a smartphone running either of the two operating systems, access to their app stores and active internet connection.
- Download the WhatsApp Messenger app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Once downloaded, click on open to open the app and you will see the WhatsApp logo and “from Facebook” message at the bottom.
- Now, click on the “Agree and Continue” button to create your account.
- The next screen will ask for your mobile number. Note that WhatsApp only uses your mobile number to create an account.
- Select your country, which will automatically establish the country code and now type your mobile number.
- Once you have entered your mobile number, WhatsApp will show a prompt asking whether the number is correct.
- Click on Ok to verify the number.
- WhatsApp will now send a text message to verify your number.
- Your Android or iOS device should be able to automatically recognize the verification code and add it in the field.
- You can also click on the Call me button to listen to the code.
- In case, it doesn’t, you can go to messages and manually enter the 6-digit verification code.
- Enter your name, add a profile photo to complete the setup.
- Click on done to start talking with your friends on WhatsApp.
WhatsApp Account: things to know
Now that you have created your WhatsApp account, it is important to know that your mobile number is your identification on the platform. Anyone with your mobile number, will be able to contact you through the service. You don’t need to use the mobile number currently being used on the phone on which you install WhatsApp.
All that WhatsApp needs is an active internet connection, a verifiable mobile number. Once you have installed WhatsApp and set up your account, you can also change privacy options to contacts only and set backup options for all your chat and media.