YouTube is not just a video platform but it is a force in its own right. Google bought YouTube in 2006 for $1.65 billion. During the fourth quarter of 2020, the video service brought in ad revenue of nearly $7 billion. While we explained how to create a new YouTube channel earlier, there might be a reason for you to delete it or temporarily hide it.
There could be a number of reasons for you to make this decision. We have seen YouTubers with millions of followers pack their bags all of a sudden and leave the video platform. Or you could simply be looking for a clean slate. For all these reasons or another, you might have decided to either temporarily hide or permanently delete your channel. If you are wondering how to go about it, we have you covered here.
How to permanently delete or temporarily hide your YouTube channel
- Open YouTube on your desktop browser.
- Make sure you are logged in. If not, login with your Google account.
- Once logged in, click on your account icon at the top right corner of the webpage.
- From the drop down menu, click on Settings.
- Scroll down a bit on this page and click on “Advanced Settings” at the bottom left hand side of this page.
- On the next page, you will see the option to delete your channel at the bottom. Click “Delete channel”.
- Now, you will be asked to verify your password.
- Once you verify, there will be two options in front of you. You can either hide your content or permanently delete your content.
- If you decide to hide your content, click on the checkbox and then tap “HIDE MY CONTENT” option.
- You will be asked to confirm once again.
- Similarly, check the box and click on “DELETE MY CONTENT” if you want to delete the channel.
- In the next window, enter the name of your channel and then click on “DELETE MY CONTENT”.
Please note, once you delete your YouTube account, all of your videos, playlists and subscriptions will disappear. Your comments, likes and messages will also disappear from the platform. If you want to come back to your account then choose to hide your content. Else, go ahead and delete all the content.
How long does it take to delete a YouTube channel?
YouTube may take as long as 30 days to delete the channel if you’ve opted for permanent deletion.