2020 has been the year of streaming services and have come as a saviour in disguise. The impact of streaming has been so huge that some movies skipped theatrical release and debuted directly on streaming platforms. One platform that has tried to muscle itself during these times is Amazon Prime Video.
Also Read: How to use Watch Party on Amazon Prime Video
The video streaming platform from the e-commerce giant managed to bring some movies to streaming devices. Amazon Prime Video is already one of the most affordable streaming service in the country. With its wide array of content, the platform now has a fighting chance against Netflix and Disney+ Hotstar. If you are new to streaming services then here is a quick guide.
How to download Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime Video is truly cross platform because it is available not only for your smartphones. It is also available for download on platforms like streaming stick, gaming console and even smart TV. You can download the app for each of these platforms from their respective app stores.
Amazon Prime Video app should come pre-installed on devices like Fire TV Stick, streaming media player and smart TVs. In case, you can’t see the app then download the same from the app store. You will also find the app on the game console and Amazon recently brought Prime Video to Google Chromecast.
It is easiest to find on smartphones running Android and iOS. You can download Prime Video for your Android smartphone from Google Play Store. For the iPhone, the app is available for download from the App Store. You can also download the app on your iPad but on the desktop, you will need to rely on the browser.
Amazon Prime Video app: how to download TV shows and movies
The biggest USP of Amazon Prime Video is the price. It comes as a free addition to your Prime membership, which offers one or two day free deliveries on your orders. The other advantage of the app is the ability to use it across devices. With Prime Video, you can watch anytime and from anywhere. All you need is an internet connection.
During the pandemic, you cannot go to a friend’s home and binge on your favourite content. Amazon knows this and has added a feature called Watch Party that allows up to 100 people to join you and watch your favorite content. Then there is, of course, the goldilocks feature – ability to download the contest to watch offline.
Before we tell you how to download, it is important to note that downloading content for offline use is available only on mobile apps. You cannot download content on your laptop. The downloaded content stays on your device for a limited number of days and not all the content will be available for download. Some content might even be restricted to certain geography. With that aside, here is how you can download content on Amazon Prime Video app.
- Download the Amazon Prime Video from Google Play Store or App Store
- Sign into the app using your existing Amazon account or create a new one.
- At this point, you will need Prime membership to access the content.
- Search for the TV show or movie you want to download to your device.
- Now, tap on the content to see the details page.
- If that particular TV show is available for download, you will see a downward arrow.
- Click on this downward arrow with the word “Download” word below.
- In the case of a TV show, you can download the entire season or individual episodes.
How to watch your downloaded Amazon Prime video content
Once you have downloaded your favourite TV shows or movies, it is much easier to watch the content. As soon as you watch one episode of a TV show, Amazon Prime Video will automatically download the next episode. You can disable that in settings.
- Open the Amazon Prime Video app.
- Click on the “Downloads” tab seen at the bottom bar.
- You can also look for the content and you will see a check mark suggesting that it has been downloaded.
- Click on the play icon to start playing the downloaded video.
How to delete downloaded content
Once you have seen a downloaded TV show or a movie, you would want to delete it from your device. This will help you save that precious memory from that smartphone with just 64GB of storage. Here is how to delete the video.
- Open the Prime Video app.
- Go to the downloads section and click on three dots next to the downloaded content.
- Select “Delete download” option to delete the video.
- This will delete the video from the current device.