It goes without saying that Facebook is the largest social media platform globally right now. The majority of content creators and YouTubers upload their videos on Facebook as well. Therefore, you may come across a video that catches your attention and makes you want to download it. But the question here is how to download Facebook videos on any device?
As you may already know, Facebook doesn’t allow downloading the video file to the local storage of your device. There’s an option to download video but that only downloads the video to your profile and basically bookmarks it for offline viewing. Here we will show you how to save a video from Facebook to the local storage of a PC.
How to download Facebook videos on computer
While Facebook doesn’t allow downloading of videos from its platform, there are a few workarounds for that. Below are the steps to do the same:
- Through mobile basic page
- Through third-party websites
- Through Google Chrome extensions
How to download Facebook videos through the mobile basic page
- Open Facebook on your browser and log in
- Go to the video you want to download and copy the video URL in the address bar
- Open a new tab in the browser and paste the copied link in the address bar
- Replace www in the URL with mbasic and hit enter
- You will be taken to the basic Facebook page of the video, click on play
- As the video starts playing, right-click on the video and click on ‘Download Video’
- Your video will start downloading
- Once downloaded, you can find the video in your ‘Downloads’ folder
How to download Facebook videos through third-party website
- Copy the Facebook video URL
- Go to fbdown.net and paste the link
- Click on the ‘Download’ button
- Choose between normal (SD) or HD video quality
- Right-click on the video window
- Click on the option to save the video on your computer
- Users can also the ‘More Options’ to force download video directly
How to download Facebook videos through Google Chrome extension
- Open the Google Chrome browser on your laptop or desktop
- Go to the Chrome Web Store and search for Social Video Downloader
- Or directly go to the Social Video Downloader
- Click on the ‘Add to Chrome’ button
- Now, open Facebook on your Chrome browser
- You should be able to see a blue arrow button next to the address bar
- Go to the Facebook video you wish to download
- Click on the Blue Arrow icon
- Choose the video quality – normal (SD) or HD
- Click download video to start downloading
How to download Facebook videos on mobile
There are various apps on Android and iOS, which let users download YouTube videos conveniently on their smartphone. While Android users can download using Video Downloader for Facebook app, iOS users can only do so using fbdown.net on Safari and Firefox browser. Let’s take a look at the step-by-step process to download Facebook videos on mobile.
- On Android
- On iOS
How to download Facebook videos on Android
- Download the app Video Downloader for Facebook
- Now, open the Facebook app on your smartphone
- Go to the video you want to download and tap on three-dot icon
- Select Copy Link
- Now open the Video Downloader for Facebook app and it will ask for desired video quality
- Select your desired video quality and it will start downloading
How to download Facebook videos on iOS
The steps for iPhone users are largely the same as Android but with a little difference. Below are the steps for iOS devices.
- Open the Facebook app on your smartphone
- Go to the Facebook video you wish to download
- Click on the share button and copy URL
- Now, open the fbdown.net website on either Safari or Firefox
- Paste the video link on the website
- Tap on ‘Force Download SD’ to download the video
- That’s all! The Facebook will be downloaded on your iOS device
iOS users can head to the Downloads folder to view the file. However, if the video is not present in the Downloads folder, head to your browser’s settings and check for the save location. Users can also change the save location to their desired folder for convenience.
Facebook video download FAQs
Why can’t I download Facebook videos?
There could be various reasons for this including incorrect URL, downloader not supported, and URL not recognised by the downloader. Ensure that you are using the latest downloader and copied the correct URL to be able to download.
Is it legal to download Facebook videos?
It is perfectly legal to download Facebook videos for personal consumption. Circulation of downloaded videos from creators is not advised as it violates copyright norms and is a punishable offence.
Can I download Facebook Live video?
Yes, you can download a Facebook Live video provided the original poster saved the live stream on their feed. If you see the desired Facebook Live video on a feed, you can follow the steps mentioned above for fbdown.net to save the video on your device.
How to download private Facebook videos?
It’s not possible to download private Facebook videos as the privacy settings of Facebook restricts it. Generally, you can only download videos, which been posted publically by the user.