If you are planning to buy a used car or a bike, it is important to know the vehicle details. Even if you have the vehicle’s number plate, it may not be enough information related to the vehicle owner. This information is even more important to know in the case of a hit-and-run incident.
So, knowing the identity of the vehicle is important. By identity, we mean the vehicle registration number. So, if you manage to get a vehicle registration number, here is how you can find details of the vehicle owner.
How to find vehicle owner’s details online
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has made it easier to find basic details of a vehicle using just the number plate. As part of its national registry known as VAHAN, citizens can trace a bike or car owner using registration number alone. Here is a step-by-step process to check vehicle owner’s details using vehicle registration number.
- Visit the official website of VAHAN.
- Click on “Know your vehicle details” at the top navigation of the website.
- On this page, enter the vehicle registration number, which is the car or bike plate number.
- Enter the verification code and click on ‘Search Vehicle’.
- The new page will show redacted information including owner’s name and vehicle model.
How to find vehicle owner’s name online
The above steps will only reveal redacted information about a vehicle including owner’s name in redacted form. But there is a way to find complete details and we recommend using this only when you absolutely need to. The above step will confirm one information that is useful to the next step. At the top, you will see RC status of the vehicle, which can be used to gather further details. Here is how.
- Go to Parivahan’s Know your RC Status website.
- Enter the Registration No.
- Follow by entering the verification code.
- Now click on the Check Status button.
The above step will generate details including engine no., chassis no., owner’s name in full. This will also show the details of the model along with fuel type, fitness information and insurance details.