VAHAN is a national vehicle registry service, which was launched way back in 2011. The service was introduced by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways in collaboration with the National Informatics Centre. Now, along with Parivahan Sewa, it forms the backbone of understanding and managing the vehicle related services in the country. If you are planning to buy a used car or a bike, it is important to know the vehicle details.
Even if you have the vehicle’s number plate, it may not be enough information related to the vehicle owner. This information is even more important to know in the case of a hit-and-run incident. So, knowing the identity of the vehicle is important. By identity, we mean the vehicle registration number. So, if you manage to get a vehicle registration number, here is how you can find details of the vehicle owner using VAHAN’s online portal.
How to find vehicle owner’s details online on VAHAN website
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has made it easier to find basic details of a vehicle using just the number plate. As part of its national registry known as VAHAN, citizens can trace a bike or car owner using registration number alone. You will be able to trace the status of the vehicle and even check the name of the owner. Here is a step-by-step process to check vehicle owner’s details using vehicle registration number.
- Visit the official website of VAHAN.
- Click on “Know your vehicle details” at the top navigation of the website.
- On this page, enter the vehicle registration number, which is the car or bike plate number.
- Enter the verification code and click on ‘Search Vehicle’.
- The new page will show redacted information including owner’s name and vehicle model.
How to find vehicle registration details through SMS
You can also find our vehicle details using vehicle’s registration number by sending a SMS. All you need to do is Type VAHAN <vehicle’s registration number> and send it to 7738299899. If you are in the need to find vehicle details next time and don’t have access to internet, simply shoot an SMS and you will get all the information in the form of a message.
How to find vehicle owner’s name online on Parivahan Sewa portal
The first step mentioned here will only reveal redacted information about a vehicle including owner’s name in redacted form. But there is a way to find complete details such as owner’s full name, vehicle registration, RTO status among others. We recommend using this only when you absolutely need to. The above step will confirm one information that is useful to the next step. At the top, you will see RC status of the vehicle, which can be used to gather further details. Here is how.
- Go to Parivahan’s Know your RC Status website.
- Enter the Registration No.
- Follow by entering the verification code.
- Now click on the Check Status button.
The above step will generate details including engine no., chassis no., owner’s name in full. This will also show the details of the model along with fuel type, fitness information and insurance details.
VAHAN Portal: List of all services offered
- Vehicle Search: This provides a nationwide search over the digitised data of Registered vehicles. Stake holders may view the details of registered vehicles online on the basis of parameters such as registration no., chassis no. or engine no.
- Permit: This includes issue of national and interstate permit and renewal of permit.
- Taxes: Vahan handles the state-wise tax calculation and payment.
- Fitness: Vahan also issues fitness certificates and handles renewal of fitness certificate.
- Enforcement: It is also responsible for issue of challan and settlement of penalty amount.
Parivahan Sewa Portal: List of all services offered
- Vehicle Related Services
- Driving License Related Services
- Check Post Tax
- Fancy Number Booking
- NR Services
- Paid NR Services
- National Permit
- CNG Maker
- SLD Maker
- VLTD Maker
- Trade Certificate
- Vahan Green Sewa
- Know your License Details
- Know your Vehicle Details
Can someone track you by license plate?
Yes, it’s possible to find out details of a vehicle owner by license plate. The details can be found on the website of VAHAN and Parivahan’s Know your RC Status website.