FASTag is an extremely helpful initiative by the Government of India which allows you to pay toll tax at toll plazas across India seamlessly and automatically. It is a part of the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) program, developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). A FASTag is a small device that uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to make payments while a vehicle is in motion. Most new cars now come with FASTAg. However, in case you don’t have one, you can easily buy it either online or across the counter. It is a sticker affixed to a vehicle’s windscreen, which communicates with toll plazas using RFID to make payments directly from your linked bank account or prepaid wallet. Earlier one could make only toll payments via FASTag. Now, FASTags can be used to pay parking charges at malls, airports and other private parking lots across key metros – Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, and Bengaluru.
What are the benefits of using a FASTag?
- First of all, it is incredibly convenient. As the money gets automatically deducted from your account, it reduces the time spent at toll plazas and does away with the hassle of keeping cash in hand or scrounging for change. You can also use digital payment applications like Google Pay, Paytm, PhonePe, and so on to easily recharge your FASTag.
- Thanks to the near non-stop movement of vehicles at toll plazas, FASTags help dramatically reduce congestion and wait times.
- There is also a monetary penalty if you do not use a FASTag. Since November 2021, the toll charges are double the regular amount for those who pay in cash.
- As it is entirely digital, a FASTag allows you to keep track of money spent at toll plazas easily.
- Using a FASTag also helps the environment. It reduces paper consumption drastically as there is no need for printed receipts. Moreover, as congestion and traffic jams are reduced, it helps cut down on fuel use and reduces pollution.
How to get a FASTag online?
The exact process of getting a FASTag online depends on your preferred bank. Generally speaking, you will have to visit your bank’s online portal and fill in the FASTag application form. Additionally, you will have to provide your car’s registration number along with documents such as the Registration Certificate (RC) of your vehicle, a passport-size photograph (of the vehicle owner), a copy of your PAN Card and a copy of any valid address proof. After that, you must wait for the FASTag to arrive at your address.
While a FASTag is free, you will have to pay a refundable security deposit, which differs depending on the bank of choice.
How to get a FASTag offline?
If you do not have access to the internet or are not comfortable with computers/ smartphones, you can always apply for a FASTag offline. There are multiple ways to do so – you can visit Point of Sale locations at toll plazas throughout the country, any branch of NETC member banks, or your local Regional Transport Office (RTO). Irrespective of where you apply for the FASTag, you have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Fill out the FASTag application form carefully and submit it along with the required documents – the Registration Certificate (RC) of your vehicle, a passport-size photograph (of the vehicle owner), a copy of your PAN Card and a copy of any valid address proof.
- You must ensure that all documents are in the vehicle owner’s name.
- If the vehicle owner is not present when filling the form, you will have to submit their photo ID proof.
Which banks provide a FASTag account?
Here are all the banks authorised to issue a FASTag as of the publishing of this article:
|Banks authorised to issue FASTag|
|Airtel Payments Bank|
|AU Small Finance Bank|
|Axis Bank Ltd|
|Bank of Baroda|
|Bank of Maharashtra|
|Central Bank of India|
|City Union Bank Ltd|
|Dombivli Nagari Sahakari Bank|
|Equitas Small Finance Bank|
|FINO Payments Bank|
|IDFC First Bank|
|Indian Overseas Bank|
|IndusInd Bank Ltd.|
|Jammu and Kashmir Bank|
|Karur Vysya Bank|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank|
|Nagpur Nagarik Sahakari Bank|
|PAYTM Payments Bank|
|Punjab National Bank|
|South Indian Bank|
|State Bank of India|
|The Jalgaon People Co-op Bank|
|Thrissur District Cooperative Bank (Kerala Bank)|
|Union Bank of India|
|Yes Bank Ltd|
Documents required to apply for a FASTag
The following documents are required to apply for a FASTag:
- The Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle.
- A passport-size photograph of the vehicle owner.
- Copy of PAN Card.
- Copy of valid address proof – it can either be your Driving License, Voter ID card, Aadhar card, or a valid Passport.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Can I use one FASTag for two cars?
No, you cannot use one FASTag for two cars. A FASTag is linked to one particular vehicle.
2) Can I buy a FASTag from toll plazas?
Yes, a FASTag can be bought directly from toll plazas across India. We have discussed the procedure in this article’s ‘How to get FASTag offline?’ section.
3) What is the validity period of a FASTag?
A FASTag has a validity of five years from the date of purchase. After obtaining a FASTag, all you need to worry about for the next five years is recharging it as per your usage.
4) How to check FASTag balance
There are a few ways to check your FASTag balance:
- Download the My FASTag app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and enter your log-in details. You can now easily check your FASTag balance. You can also easily recharge your FASTag via this application.
- You will receive an SMS with your updated FASTag balance every time an amount is deducted at a toll booth.
- You can visit the website/ application of the bank/ mobile wallet with which you have linked your FASTag account and log in to the FASTag portal.
- Lastly, if your mobile number is registered with NHAI’s prepaid wallet, you can call the toll-free number +91-8884333331 to check your balance.
5) How to change a FASTag account from one bank to another
It is possible to change your FASTag bank account. You must visit the nearest Point of Sale (POS) location, such as representatives at toll plazas throughout the country, any branch of NETC member banks, or your local Regional Transport Office (RTO), and submit a request to change your bank account.
6) How to fix a FASTag on a vehicle?
The FASTag is a sticker that needs to be stuck onto the car’s windshield from the inside. Ideally, you should stick it in the middle of the windscreen next to or directly behind the rear-view mirror. Once attached, you should never try to reposition the FASTag as this might damage it and make it unusable.