Privacy is at the top of the mind of every person working from home or learning from home right now. It becomes even more important if you have to share your computer. We have seen reports of homes where parents and kids are sharing the same computer. In such a case, you would want to keep your files separate.
While you can create different users, there is also an option to keep your files hidden from others. With Windows 10, you can hide your files and folders from prying eyes.
It is also a way to check if your files are infected with virus on your computer. The process of hiding your files and viewing them again is really easy on Windows 10. Regardless of your use case, here is how you can hide your files or folders.
How to hide files or folders in Windows 10
- Go to the file or folder you want to hide.
- Right-click on this file or folder and select “Properties”.
- Now, in the menu that appears, check the box labelled as “Hidden”.
- Click on apply and then click Ok for this to take effect on your Windows 10 computer.
- Your file or folder will now be hidden.
You can uncheck the “Hidden” label on a file or folder at any time to make it visible once again. It is also important to note that system files are hidden and you should make changes in that folder only if you know what you are doing beforehand.
How to view hidden files or folders in Windows 10
By default, Windows 10 will not show your hidden files or folders in the File Explorer option. However, if you want to know how to show these hidden files, these are the steps to do so.
- Press the Windows 10 icon at the bottom left corner of your screen and search for “This PC”. You can also directly type into the search field.
- Click on the result that shows or select the “Open” position you see on the right hand side of the search result.
- In the next screen, you will see a listing for all your computer drives. Open the one that has the hidden files that you are looking for.
- Once you are in the folder, click on the “View” option that is visible on the toolbar at the top of the window.
- You will now see an option called “Hidden Items”.
- Click on the checkbox that appears next to it.
- As long as the hidden items option remains checked, you will be able to see any hidden file or folder.
You will be able to tell the difference between a hidden file or folder and a regular file or folder by their appearance. The hidden file or folder will be slightly transparent as seen in the screenshot above.