Gone are the days when a traffic cop would stop you for flouting the traffic rules and hand you a Challan. Several states in India have enabled the MTP CCTV Challan system, where an e-Challan is sent to the driver if they are found flouting a traffic rule on the CCTV camera. Once captured, information like registration number, name and address of the owner, and contact details are procured from RTO. After that, an SMS notification is sent to the vehicle’s registered mobile number with the e-Challan.
The good news is that you don’t need to head out and stand in a queue to pay the traffic fine. Thanks to the e-governance initiative, you can pay your fines online. Whether you have been handed a Challan by a traffic police personnel or received an e-Challan, you can pay them both online from the comfort of your home. Here’s an article detailing how to pay e-Challan online and check your Challan status.
How to pay e-Challan online
While there are different websites for different states to pay traffic e-Challan, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has introduced an online payment facility for traffic Challans. Below are the steps for paying the challan online:
- Visit the e-Challan website
- On the main page, you will need to select from Challan Number/Vehicle Number/DL Number
- Click on one and enter details
- Enter Captcha
- Click on Get Details
- Check details of traffic violations, if any, and proceed to pay online
- You will receive a confirmation message and transaction ID
How to pay e-Challan through Paytm
The popular digital wallet platform, Paytm also offers e-Challan online payment service. However, ensure that you have Paytm installed on your smartphone and have complete the KYC procedure. Here are the steps to pay your Challan online using Paytm.
- Open Paytm app
- Click on ‘See all’ on the main page in the Featured section
- Navigate to ‘Recharge & Pay Bills’ and click on ‘Challan’
- Choose your traffic authority
- Enter the e-challan number or vehicle number or RC number or driving license number
- Click on Proceed
- Enter the fine amount and proceed to pay
How to check Challan status online
In case you are not sure about your Challan status or what traffic rules you have violated, you can check that online as well. Here’s how to check Challan status online.
- Visit the official e-Challan website
- Click on ‘Check Challan Status’
- On the new page, enter e-Challan number or vehicle number or driving license number
- Enter Captcha and click on Get Details
Bear in mind that the e-Challan has to be paid within 60 days from the date of issue. In case, the payment is not made within the stipulated time, the challan is forwarded to the court and the fine could be increased.