A Google account is one of the most important accounts that you create in the digital world. The account encompasses a lot of features and extends far beyond a simple email account. While most people would have created their Google account first as an email service on Gmail, it would have definitely expanded to cover other services as well.
Also Read: How to login to Gmail account on a phone or a computer
For instance, your Google account might be now associated with YouTube, Photos, Duo and Podcasts. It might also be the account associated with Google One, the online storage platform from the search giant. Your Google account might also be associated with Google Pay, the peer-to-peer payment service from the Silicon Valley giant.
With such an important account, one can also expect an overload of information coming your way across services. If you have multiple Google accounts, then it could be daunting to manage all of those accounts and the information associated with them. In such a situation, scaling back makes sense. If you’re wondering how to remove Gmail account from your phone, here are the steps to do so on Android and iOS.
How to remove Google account from Android
Before we get started, it is important to note that removing your Google account from a device is not the same as deleting your account. In this case, you are basically disassociating that particular device. This would result in that particular device no longer being able to send notifications associated with the Google account. Here is how to remove Google account from any Android smartphone.
- Go to Settings on your phone either from the notification tray or from the menu of your phone.
- Now, click on the Accounts option. This might also be called “Users and Accounts” on some Android phones.
- If your smartphone classifies accounts on the basis of apps then click on Google.
- In the next step, click on the Google account that you want to remove.
- You will see two options: sync and remove. Tap on Remove to proceed.
If your Android smartphone has only one Google account then you will be required to enter the device password to remove the account. Removing your only Google account from your phone would lock you out of Play Store and other Google apps.
How to remove Google account from iPhone
On iOS, you can access Google account in multiple different ways. You can access it through the Gmail app, Safari or Chrome browser or through the native Mail app. As a result, the step to remove these accounts also varies significantly. Here is how.
How to remove Google account from Gmail app
- Open the Gmail app on iPhone or iPad.
- Click on your profile picture from the top right corner.
- Tap Manage accounts on this device.
- Now, click on the “Remove from this device” below the account that you want to remove.
How to remove Google account from Apple Mail
- Open Settings.
- Scroll down to Mail and tap on Accounts.
- On this page, you will see Gmail option in addition to iCloud and other accounts.
- Click on Gmail and then select “Delete Account”. This will remove your Google account from Apple Mail app.
How to remove Google account from Safari
- Open the Safari app.
- Go to www.google.com.
- Tap on your profile picture in the top right corner and now select “Sign out” like you would on any desktop computer.
- In the next window, click on “Remove an account” option.
- Now, tap the “Remove” button next to the account you want to remove.
- Click on Done once the account is removed.
On iOS, if you choose to remove all Google accounts then you will be automatically signed out of your Google account on that device.