Computers are having a moment of reckoning right now. With work from home and learning from home turned a new normal this year, computers have found a new peak in interest. This has also led to the culture of sharing computers or laptops among people in the same house. We are particularly referring to homes with one computer that needs to be shared between a kid and the parent.
Such a situation also raises the question of disabling the security key or password that you would be using to unlock your computer. Since Windows 10 is the dominant operating system on laptops and desktops, we will look at how to disable the password feature on these machines.
How to remove the password feature on Windows 10
Let us start by admitting that having a password on your computer is extremely important. A password safeguards your computer from being accessed by prying eyes or unauthorised persons. With all of us now at home, the chances of your computer falling into the hands of a bad actor is limited.
At the same time, your computer being used by your family member is higher than before. If you have a kid at home using your computer then having a password can be annoying. The easiest way to sidestep this problem is to disable the password feature. On Windows 10, Microsoft has made it easier than ever. Here is how.
- Click on the “START” menu and type “netplwiz” in the search field.
- Now, click on the first result, which will open the user accounts screen.
- Once the user accounts screen is open, uncheck the box that reads “Users must enter a name and password to use this computer”.
- Now, Click on the “OK” button to apply this setting.
- If prompted, re-enter your password to confirm the change.
- You may have to click “OK” once more to confirm.
This will remove the password previously used to access your computer. Now, anyone with physical access to your computer can use the device, view photos or documents on them. To re-enter the password, simply re-run “netplwiz” and check the box again.