YouTube is the world’s biggest platform for user created video content. While it has seen new competition emerge at all times including TikTok recently, the video service from Google has managed to stay competitive. While it has billions of monthly active users, there are still some who use YouTube to watch and not upload their own videos.
This could be because they are still uninitiated on the process of uploading video or worried about monetisation. For those users, it is important to understand that uploading your own video to YouTube is completely free. A report notes that 500 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube each minute worldwide.
In 2019, it is estimated that 7,20,000 hours of video were uploaded to YouTube every day. If you are wondering how to get started then we have got you covered in this article. In this article, we will help you learn how to upload your own video to YouTube on both the web as well as your mobile device.
How to upload a video to YouTube from desktop
- Open your favourite web browser and go to www.youtube.com.
- Now, either log in using your Gmail account or create a new account.
- If you are already signed in to Google on your web browser then YouTube will log you in automatically. Tap on the “account avatar” at the top right corner to see your login credentials.
- For those uploading a video for the first time, there is a creators journey prompt.
- You can either continue and create a channel name or cancel and use your name and Google Account picture.
- On the next page, you will be prompted to add a description of your channel and links to your social media accounts. You can set this up later.
- Now, you will be redirected to YouTube Studio to upload your first video.
- On this page, click on Create and then on Upload Video option.
- In the next step, you will see a file upload screen. Click on “Select Files” to start uploading the video.
- The next screen will show that your video is uploaded and will be saved as a draft. Here, you can see the quality of the video. You can click Next to proceed.
- The next step is details screen where you confirm whether the video has any age restriction.
- After that, you need to add video elements like an end screen or cards. It is optional.
- The last step is select visibility of your video. You can publish immediately as a public video or keep it as private or make it unlisted. There is also an option to set your video as an instant premiere, which is part of public upload.
- Click on save and you have successfully uploaded your video to YouTube.
How to upload a video to YouTube from mobile
- Open YouTube app on your smartphone.
- Click on the “+” sign at the bottom centre.
- Now select “Upload a video” option.
- The next screen will show a preview of the video. Click Next to continue.
- The next step is to add description and then click on Next.
- The last screen is to select the audience and then click upload. This will upload your video and you can see progress in the “Your videos” section.
As you can see, it is much easier to upload a video from a mobile device than it is from a desktop browser. Since smartphones have become the primary content production device, YouTube has made it rather easy to upload from this device. Go ahead and upload your first video to the most popular video service in the world.