YouTube is one of the most popular mediums for putting out content to the masses. However, it restricts videos to under 15 minutes if your account is not verified. If you make short videos, it shouldn’t bother you but if you tend to put out long content like tutorials, you will need to verify your account. If you’ve been wondering how to verify YouTube channel, you can do so easily in five steps.
Also read: How to create a YouTube channel
Once done, you will be able to not only post videos longer than 15 minutes but also customise thumbnails of the videos you post on your channel and live stream. Here’s a step-by-step guide for YouTube verification online.
How to verify YouTube channel: step-by-step guide
First things first, you shouldn’t mistake verifying the YouTube channel with the verification badge. YouTube grants the verification badge only if you cross 1,00,000 subscribers. Apart from the tick next to your channel name, this doesn’t offer any additional benefits. The YouTube channel verification, on the other hand, is to associate the channel with your phone number for authenticity.
Here are the steps to verify a YouTube channel.
- Go to YouTube and log in to your account
- In the toolbar on the left, scroll to the bottom and click on ‘Settings’
- Click on ‘Channel status and features’ on the next page under your name
- In the dashboard that opens up, click on ‘Settings’ in the bottom left corner
- In the pop-up menu, click on ‘Channel’ on the left
- Tap on ‘Feature eligibility’ tab and click on the down arrow next to ‘Features that require phone verification’
- Click on ‘Verify phone number’
- On the next page, select your country and choose from ‘Call me with an automated voice message’ or ‘Text me the verification code’
- In case you choose call, have your mobile handy as YouTube will only call once, and in case of SMS, you’ll receive an OTP
- Proceed with the instructions on call or enter the OTP on the next screen to complete the verification