Remember that time when all of your friends were going live on Instagram? That was at the start of the lockdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Instagram Live became the destination to see what your friends were up to during the lockdown. Instagram knows it as well as we do and is reacting with the release of a new feature called Instagram Live Rooms.
Instagram Live Rooms can be easily described as a Facebook Messenger Room with a capped number of people and live conversation instead of a video call. Facebook has been vertically integrating all of its platforms for sometime now. We are seeing that happen with Instagram as well with this tailored feature.
What is Instagram Live?
Instagram Live is a feature that allows people to go live on the photo-sharing platform. The feature allows creators to virtually connect with their followers. Instagram also offered an option called “Request” where you could request to join a friend’s live video. Similarly, creators also got an option to add another person to their live video.
Now, the service is expanding with options for more people. Instagram says Live views in India registered a 60 percent growth on a week-on-week basis.. If you live stream on Instagram and wondered why the platform does not let you add more people then the solution is here for you.
Instagram Live Rooms: what is it?
With Live Rooms, Instagram is allowing creators to go live with up to three guests. This is the first time that Instagram is letting four people go live through a single account. It says creators will have more opportunities to expand their reach and use cases with Live Rooms. With the ability to go live with up to three people, Instagram Live will be more than a live stream.
The potential includes starting a talk show or a podcast on Instagram. The early test for Live Rooms feature took place with a few creators in India. The upsell here being the facility to reach a greater audience and expand reach. Instagram also says that Live Rooms come with the same safety tools that are built into Live and other tools.
How to add up to three people to Instagram Live videos
Step 1: Go live
- Tap the plus sign in the top left hand corner of your stories tray or click the “Create” plus icon in the top right side of the home navigation bar.
- You can also swipe left when you are on your main Instagram home screen.
- Now scroll to and tap the Live camera option seen at the bottom.
- Use the menu on the left to add title if you choose to.
- Click on the circular button to go live on Instagram.
Step 2: Add guests to your live stream
- Once you are live, you will have an option to add guests to your own livestream.
- When you are live, tap the camera or rooms icon.
- You will see people that have requested to join your live video. You can also search for guests you want to add and send them a request to join your live.
- Now, tap on the guest’s handle to add them.
- While it was limited to one guest earlier, now you can create a room with three people to go live.
- You can add all three guests at the same time. You can even start the video with one guest and bring others later like television interviews.
Instagram says Live Rooms has begun rolling out for all users in India. The feature should be available to everyone in India and Indonesia soon, the company said in a statement. While there is the question of live video fatigue among people, Instagram is saying the live video views have only increased in the past few weeks.