Considering the fact that Instagram has become the biggest social media platform on the internet, it’s no wonder that more people are joining this platform. Through Instagram, they can showcase their talents, thoughts, small businesses, and much more. However, having so many users also creates the issue of usernames being taken.
Of course, you can always use your own name and customise it with special characters, but there are many cases where you might want something unique. This is especially true if you want to become recognised as an influencer or content creator. We realise finding the ideal Instagram username can be difficult, so we’ve put together some inspiration for you. In this article, you will find over a hundred Instagram names for both girls and boys. Mix and match or customise them to your liking.
Best Instagram names for girls (January 2022)
Here are some cool and classy Instagram nicknames for girls that you can take inspiration from and add your own spin to. You can either mix and match from our list of names, or use them as-is. Remember, if the Insta ID is already taken, you can try adding special characters to make it your own.
- Cutie Pie
- Sugar baby.
Best Instagram names for boys (January 2022)
Here’s a list of cool Instagram names for boys. The same principle applies here – take the basic template from these names and add characters to make it unique to you.
- Boy Poster
- Beacon Bin
- Sleepy Craft
- Sushi Trash Talk
- Bad Captain
- Aye Aye Captain
- Ninety Mileage
- Tonight Gamer
- Testimonial Skies
- Dead Guru
- Lego Boyo
- Drop Dead
- Desired Victor
- The plundered
- Beastie Boy$
- Native Boy
- Deadline Dork
- Fly Swat
- Fear Swag
- General Genius
- Have a mint
- August Moment
- Gamer Simmer
- Rodeo Dealer
- I am SIM
- Tomato Man
- Chainsaw man
- Jade Bad
- Ghost of you
- Racer Hell
- Hell Singh
- Show Runner
- 100 days alive
- Your Neighbour Mechanic
- 6 feet deep
- Comfort at hand
How to change your Instagram ID or name
Before you go about deciding what to change your Instagram name into, you should know how to change your Instagram ID. This is quite a basic step, but you should be aware that once you change your Instagram name, you cannot use your old one as it will be blocked by the platform. This is done as a security measure and allows the old Instagram user ID to be available to others.
Here’s how you change your Instagram name:
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Tap on your profile picture icon at the bottom right corner of the app window.
- You will be taken to your profile, and the option to “Edit Profile” will be given to you. Click on it.
- Navigate to the “Username” field and type in your selected Instagram name or handle.
- Once you’re satisfied with the change, tap on “Done”.
- Your new Instagram handle shall be in use from this point on.
You can also change the “Name” that is displayed on your profile. Instead of the “Username” field, type in your selected name into the “Name” field and click on “Done”.
What’s the difference between Instagram ID and Instagram name?
People often tend to get confused between the Instagram handle and the Instagram name, and how both of them work. Here are the key differences.
- Instagram handles and usernames are your unique ID that cannot be replicated or used by another person. Only one person is allowed to have a particular Instagram handle. Instagram names aren’t so unique, however. If your name is the same as that of another person, both of you can keep the same Instagram name.
- Instagram handles have a character limitation of 30 characters. Instagram names don’t have such character limitations.
- Instagram handles don’t allow the use of spaces between words. You can use letters, underscores, periods, numbers or other special characters. Instagram names allow the usage of all these, including special characters, emojis, and spaces.
Keep these differences in mind when you are about to change your Instagram handle or Instagram name.
Tips for choosing an Instagram handle
If you’re an aspiring content creator, or if you just want a good and catchy Instagram handle to grab the attention of your Instagram followers, there are a few things you should take into consideration.
- Your name should reflect the kind of content that you are putting on Instagram. If your content deals mainly with books, your Instagram handle shouldn’t be something that reflects something like food or cars. @mechanicmania won’t work for an Instagram profile that is providing content based on books. @comedyconnections will be a poor reflection of your profile if you post personal content that isn’t related to the genre of comedy.
- Your Instagram name should also be something that is easy to remember or grabs the attention of everyone that comes across your profile. If you’re a content creator, apart from your content, people will spread the word about your profile by talking to each other. If your Instagram name is either forgettable or difficult to pronounce or even remember, you will lose potential followers very easily.
- If you just want a catchy name for your personal account, and not for content creation, your Instagram name has to be a fair reflection of your personality. It can be either something related to how your friends know you, or how you want to portray yourself to the online world.