No doubt, iPhones are a good option if you like taking pictures. But what happens when you accidentally delete them. Is it possible to recover deleted photos from an iOS device? Well, the answer to that question is yes. You can recover deleted photos from iOS devices, but there is a catch.
Mac, in comparison to iOS, is a more robust operating system. Since macOS and iOS are part of Apple’s operating systems, recovering photos from your Mac computer is fairly easy and convenient. However, there are ways to recover photos from iOS as well. You can restore your favourite memories in just a few seconds and all it takes is a few software programs and some quick tutorials.
How to recover deleted photos on iPhone?
On any smartphone, regardless of its operating system, you get this recently deleted folder. On Android, it is usually called a trash bin in the gallery. Likewise, iOS has a similar feature and you can restore your recently deleted photos from there. But wait, what about photos deleted 3 months ago? Can those photos be restored on iPhones? Yes, we sure can! Here is a quick list of 5 legit methods to restore data on iPhones and iPads.
Recently Deleted folder
On iOS devices, if a photo gets deleted from the gallery, it will go to the “Recently Deleted” folder. Here, you can find photos deleted from the last 30 days. All the recently deleted photos vanish permanently after 30 days have passed. Here is a quick look at how to restore photos from the “Recently Deleted” folder.
- On your iOS device, open the Photos app and scroll down to the “Recently Deleted” album.
- You can find this folder under “Other Albums”.
- Now, select “Recently Deleted” and tap on the images you’d like to restore.
- After that, tap on the “Recover” option. (available at the bottom-right corner of the screen)
- Tap on “Recover Photo”, and it’ll go back to the iPhone Photos library.
Apple’s cloud storage system iCloud is a smart way to keep your photos and files in sync with your iOS devices. It stores almost everything you have on your phone, including your contacts, videos, and even deleted photos. In case you cannot find your deleted images in the “Recently Deleted” folder, try to find them on the iCloud website. Here is a quick walkthrough to restore iPhone photos via iCloud.
- Open the Safari browser or any other web browser currently installed on your device.
- Type www.icloud.com in the URL bar and press Enter.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- Log in to your Apple user account.
- Once you’re inside the dashboard, go to the Photos app and select “Recently Deleted”.
- Some images might seem deleted on your smartphone, but they exist in the “Recently Deleted” folder on iCloud.
- Tap on the photo and select Recover > Recover Photo.
- Now, check your iPhone if the image has been restored or not.
In case your deleted photo has passed the 30 days mark, restoring it with only your smartphone is not an option. iOS is designed in a way that it doesn’t hold the deleted images after a 30-day cycle. In that situation, you can use Apple iTunes. Here is a quick look at how to restore deleted iPhone photos via iTunes.
- Before moving forward, we need some prerequisites that’ll help us to restore the deleted images.
- Firstly, you’ll need an Apple USB cable, iTunes software and an Apple user account.
- Once you’ve got these things ready, we can start with the process.
- Firstly, install iTunes on your computer via this link.
- Once installed, connect your iPhone to your computer using the Apple cable.
- Sign in to your iTunes account and select the Restore Backup option.
- Select the most relevant version and click on Restart.
- The process can take a while so sit back and relax while your data gets restored.
- Now, remove your iPhone from your computer and check for the restored images.
There are probably hundreds of data recovery software on the internet. You can use these applications to restore files, documents, videos, images, and even contacts on your iPhone and Android devices. Among these software programs, Wondershare iPhone Photo Recovery or often called Dr.Fone for iOS is an award-winning application that restores your iPhone data in just a few minutes. Here is a quick look at how to restore images via Dr.Fone for iOS.
- Download and install Dr.Fone for iOS via this link.
- Once installed, open the app and select the ‘Recover’ option.
- Connect your iPhone using a USB cable.
- The software will automatically recognize your device type/model.
- Tap on the Start Scan option and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once the process is complete, your data will be restored automatically.
In case you cannot restore your images through all of the above methods, you can opt for some third-party services like Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. However, it is worth noting that these third-party services work if you’ve already connected your iOS account with them. For example, if you’ve connected Google Drive with your Apple account then you can synchronize the data on both platforms. Here is a quick look at how to restore deleted photos via Google Drive.
- Open the Google Drive/Google Photos application on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “Library Trash” option. (available at the bottom of the screen)
- Select and hold on to the photos you want to restore.
- Tap on the Restore button.
- The image/video will automatically go back to the iPhone Photos library.
- Check your iPhone Photos library and see if the image/video has been restored or not.
How to backup photos on iPhone?
There are multiple methods and apps to restore photos on the iPhone. By backing up your precious memories, you can be assured that you can access them even after losing your phone. While there are multiple ways to do it, your best bet would be storing your photos in the iCloud Photos library. The best part about storing images on iCloud is that you always access them whenever you want and even restore them if needed. Here is a quick look at how to backup your images/videos and other data on iCloud.
- Firstly, open your iOS device and go to Settings > Photos > iCloud Photos.
- Enable the setting on the same screen.
- You can also enable video, documents, and other files.
- Now, your iOS device will upload all the photos on iCloud in a backup format.
- This process can take up to a few seconds to minutes depending upon the number of images stored on your device.
- Now, whenever you take a photo, your device will automatically save it on iCloud.