Reliance Jio is the largest and arguably the most popular telecom operator in the country. The Mukesh Ambani-led telco offers a wide bouquet of services including prepaid, postpaid, broadband, and more. Moreover, thanks to the host of benefits like aggressive pricing, OTT benefits, and unlimited calling, the telco enjoys the loyalty of a large user base in the country.
In case you have recently bought a new Jio SIM/eSIM or planning to get one soon, you’ll need to activate it before you can start using it. Activating the Reliance Jio SIM is a straightforward process. You can choose to activate voice and data services, or only data services. Here’s a step-by-step guide to activate your new Jio SIM.
Reliance Jio: how to activate new Jio 4G SIM
Reliance Jio users can activate their new SIM card using a simple tele-verification process. All they need to do is follow the below-mentioned steps.
Activate Jio 4G SIM
- Insert your new SIM in the smartphone
- Go to phone app and open the Dialer
- Punch in 1977 and make a call to complete the tele-verification process
- You will need to enter the 5-digit PIN received on the alternative number or last four digits of Aadhaar card
- Once done, your Jio SIM will be activated.
Activate Jio 4G SIM (data only)
Alternatively, Jio also offers users an option to activate only the data services. This method is applicable for those who purchase the SIM for the JioFi dongle. Below are the steps to do the same.
- Open phone app on your phone
- Go to the dialler
- Call 18008901977 from any number
Reliance Jio: how to activate new Jio eSIM
Jio also offers eSIM functionality for its users in India. Currently, the eSIM or Embedded Subscriber Identity Module is supported only by select Apple, Samsung, Google, and Motorola devices in the country. In case you have a supported device and want to make a switch to eSIM, below are the steps.
How to activate Jio eSIM for iPhone?
Ensure that your iPhone is on iOS 12.1 or higher and you have an Apple iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020), iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max. Once ensured, follow the steps below.
- Open Setting and navigate to About Phone to note down EDI and IMEI numbers of your phone
- Open Messaging app and send ‘SMS GETESIM <32-digit EID> <15-digit IMEI> to 199 from the same phone
- You’ll then receive a 19-digit eSIM number and eSIM profile configuration details
- Now, SMS ‘SIMCHG <19-digit eSIM number> to 199
- It will take a couple of hours before you get an update on eSIM processing
- Once you get the SMS, confirm the same by sending ‘1’ to 183
- Jio will then make an automated call on your Jio number to confirm the 19-digit eSIM number
- You’ll then get a confirmation SMS for the activation of your new eSIM
Once your new Jio eSIM has been activated, you will need to configure it on your iPhone. Follow the steps below.
- Open Settings and navigate to ‘Mobile Data’
- Click on ‘Add Data plan’ and then you’ll need to add details manually on the bottom
- In the ‘SM-DP+address’, type ‘smdprd.jio.com’
- In the ‘Activation code’, enter the activation code from the eSIM profile configuration details you received earlier
- Tap on ‘Next’ in the top right corner
- Click on ‘Add data plan’
- Choose the data plan labels as per your preference and click ‘Continue’
- Your Jio eSIM is now configured and activated
How to activate Jio eSIM for Samsung?
Samsung offers Jio eSIM support on Galaxy Z Flip, Galaxy Fold, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy Z Fold 2, Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21+, and Galaxy S21 Ultra. The process of applying through SMS is the same as Step 1 through 8 as mentioned above for iPhones. Once you receive the 19-digit eSIM number, eSIM profile configuration details, and eSIM activation confirmation SMS, follow the steps below.
- Open Settings on your Samsung smartphone
- Head to ‘Connections’
- Click on ‘SIM card manager’
- Tap on ‘Add Mobile Plan’
- Select ‘Scan Carrier QR code’
- Next, tap on ‘Enter code instead’
- Type ‘LPA:1$smdprd.jio.com$ <32 digit activation code>’
- Tap on ‘Connect’
Your Jio eSIM will now be activated and configured. It should show up in the SIM card manager option.
How to activate Jio eSIM for Motorola?
Motorola offers eSIM functionality on the Razr (2019) and Razr 5G smartphones. As usual, you need to obtain the 19-digit eSIM number, eSIM profile configuration details, and eSIM activation confirmation SMS through step 1 to 8 mentioned in the iPhone section. Once done, follow the steps below.
- Open Settings and head to ‘Network & Internet’
- On Razr (2019), click on ‘Mobile Network’, select ‘Advanced’, tap on ‘Carrier’, click on ‘Add Carrier’ and then tap ‘Next’
- On Razr 5G select ‘Mobile Netork’ and tap on ‘Next’
- Tap on ‘Need Help’
- Next, tap on ‘Enter it manually’
- Enter the activation code as ‘LPA:1$smdprd.jio.com$ <32 digit activation code>’
- Select ‘Activate’ and then tap ‘Done’
- Your new Jio eSIM is now configured and activated
How to activate Jio eSIM for Google?
The list of Google smartphones with support for eSIM in India include Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, and Pixel 4a. As usual, follow steps 1-8 mentioned in the iPhone section first to get the 19-digit eSIM number, and eSIM profile configuration details. Now, follow the steps below to configure the new Jio eSIM.
- Open Settings on your phone and navigate to ‘Network & Internet
- Select ‘Mobile Network’
- Click on ‘Download a SIM instead’ and tap ‘Next’, and then select ‘Need Help’
- Next, click on ‘Enter it manually’
- Type the activation code as ‘LPA:1$smdprd.jio.com$ <32 digit activation code>’
- Select ‘Activate’ and then click ‘Done’
- Your new Jio eSIM is now configured and activated