A passport is a travel document issued by the government. It contains details about you – like full name, address, photograph, the place and date of birth, and signature. When travelling abroad, if required, it facilitates access to consular assistance.
In case of a change in residence, it is advisable that you modify or amend the address mentioned in your passport. For this, you will have to apply to a passport office which will issue a new passport with the updated address.
How to Change Address in Passport
Before applying for a change in your address, you have to register yourself with https://passportindia.gov.in. Ensure that you type in the correct URL, since there are various fraudulent websites and mobile applications with similar URLs. The sole purpose of these fraudulent websites is to collect data from applicants. Some apps/websites and agents also extort hefty charges for filling up the online application form and scheduling appointments.
However, it is a simple process and anyone with basic knowledge of the internet can easily fill the form on their own. Once you open the correct website click on “New User Registration” and fill in the details. Follow the instructions since your login details will be sent on mail. After you have registered, you may use the site for all passport-related services, including address change.
To change the address in your passport, you have to apply for a “Re-issue” of passport. Mention the specified change in personal particulars. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Log on to Passport Seva website.
- Now that you are registered, click on “Existing User Login”.
- Enter user ID and password, enter the “Captcha”, and click Login.
- Now tap on “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport”
- Fill in the application form
- Pay the required amount and schedule an appointment at your nearest Regional Passport Office (RPO) or Passport Seva Kendra (PSK).
- Click “Print Application Receipt” to receive a “challan” which bears the application reference number (ARN).
- Once the application is submitted and a date allotted for appointment, you may visit the nearest RPO or PSK with original documents for verification.
Documents Required to Change Address in Passport
On the assigned day, when you visit the RPO or PSK, the following documents have to be carried for verification
- Your earlier passport, with self-attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages (including ECR/Non-ECR page) and the page of observation (if any).
- Proof of present address: Among documents accepted by authorities as proof of residence are:
- Water Bill
- Telephone (landline or post-paid mobile bill)
- Electricity bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Voter’s Photo ID card issued by Election Commission of India
- Proof of cooking gas connection
- A certificate from employer of reputed companies on letter head
- Spouse’ passport copy (first and last page, including family details mentioning your name as spouse). Note that your present address matches the address mentioned in your spouse’s passport.
- Parent’s passport (copies of first and last page), in case of minors.
- Your Aadhaar Card
- Rent Agreement if you are a tenant.
- Photo Passbook of your active bank-account (only of Scheduled Public Sector Banks, Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks, or Regional Rural Banks)
- Documentary proof for any one of the Non-ECR (Persons whose passports contain “Emigration Clearance Required” stamp and who intend to take up employment abroad in certain countries need to obtain emigration clearance.
- For minor applicants, present address proof documents in the name of parent can be submitted.
- Copy or Print out of the payment receipt or challan receipt.
Fee to Change Address in Passport
A fee is levied by passport issuing authorities for various services. In case of change of address, a new passport has to be issued. The fees depend on the age of the applicant, number of pages (if you are a frequent traveller, you may need more pages for stamping of visa), Normal or Tatkaal (requiring early issuance for urgent travel requirement).
Here’s the current fee structure:
|Age||No. of Pages||Normal||Tatkaal|
|Up to 15 years||Rs. 1,000||Rs. 3,000|
|Between 15-18 years||36||Rs. 1,500||Rs. 3,500|
|Between 15-18 years||60||Rs. 2,000||Rs. 4,000|
|18 Years & above||36||Rs. 1,500||Rs. 3,500|
|18 Years & above||60||Rs. 3,500||Rs. 4,000|
1) Is it necessary to change address in passport?
It is always advisable to update your address whenever shifting home. The address is verified by the police. It is thus an official document for proof of residence. When applying for a visa, the address is noted by the issuing country. Then, in case you are applying for a work permit abroad, you may need to establish the address of residence in your home country. Also, in an emergency, an updated address helps authorities contact your family back home. Passport is dispatched through Speed Post to the present address of the applicant as filled in the application form.
2) How many days does it take to change the address in your passport?
Normally, the process takes between two to four weeks from the date of verification of your documents. But when applying under the Tatkaal category, the process takes a maximum of 10 days. The exact time taken for reissuing a passport depends on factors like police verification or unforeseen hitches.
3) Does it matter if my passport has my old address?
Officials at a foreign mission issuing travel documents, authorities at emigration or immigration, etc., all note the address as depicted in your passport. Thus, for any postal or direct contact, it is advisable to update the latest address.
4) Can I change my address when I renew my passport?
Whenever seeking change in address, a fresh application has to be submitted. You can get the address updated at the time of renew. However, it is best not to delay getting the changes done. No such correction can be made on the current document.
5) Is police verification required for passport renewal with address change in India?
Police verification will be conducted if there are changes to name, address, or some personal details in your application for the reissuance of passport. This exercise authenticates the information you have submitted in the application for reissuing your passport.
6) Can I use my parents address for my passport?
Those studying or staying away from home in hostels, lodges, or other such temporary accommodation can mention parents’ address in the permanent address column of the application form.