If UPI redefined digital payments in India then FASTag aims to do the same for road transport in the country. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has made FASTags mandatory for all vehicles across the country. With FASTags, the ministry envisions reduced traffic at toll plazas across the country.
The move to a cashless toll payment system was long overdue. With FASTag, commuters are able to pay the toll fee without having to stop and pay with cash. While there was initially confusion around implementation of FASTag, the government has smoothened the process in a big way.
The government of India has certified 22 banks to provide FASTags across the country. SBI Bank, the largest public sector bank in the country, is one of the banks allowed to sell and manage the FASTag account of customers. Here is how to apply for SBI Bank FASTag
How to buy SBI Bank FASTag
The government has confirmed that bank-specific FASTags are available at respective bank’s selected branches. They are also available at toll plazas and several service centres. While you can manage your SBI Bank FASTag online, you cannot get one online.
You must visit the bank branch to get the FASTag offered by SBI Bank. The dedicated website for SBI Bank FASTag notes that you can visit any of the SBI’s Point of Sale counters set up by the bank at toll plazas to open your SBI FASTag Account. Here is how to get FASTag issued by SBI Bank.
- Visit any of the POS locations (check the list here) with your KYC and vehicle documents along with original documents.
- While getting the FASTag, it is required that you take your vehicle with you.
- You can also call customer care number 1800 11 0018 and they will direct you to the nearest POS location.
- Once at the POS location, fill the application to create your SBI Bank FASTag account and submit it along with supporting documents.
- SBI Bank website notes that the representatives at the POS location will affix the FASTag on your vehicle’s windscreen.
- Next, you will receive an SMS with details of your SBI Bank FASTag account username and password.
- Login with these details at the official SBI Bank FASTag website to manage your account.
SBI Bank FASTag fees and charges
There are multiple fees associated with a FASTag issued by SBI Bank or any other bank for that matter. In the case of SBI Bank FASTag, you need to look at issuance charges and other charges associated with the FASTag.
- FASTag issuance fees: SBI Bank notes that Rs 100 will be charged as issuance fee for all categories of vehicles. This includes all the applicable taxes.
- Other charges: In addition to issuance charges, there is also a security deposit being charged for the FASTag. This is refundable and varies according to the vehicle. Alongside the security amount, SBI Bank requires customers to maintain a minimum balance. Here is a look at the security amount and minimum balance for various vehicle categories.
SBI Bank FASTag: how to recharge online
Once you have received your SBI Bank FASTag and have activated the same, you might need to recharge the FASTag to smoothly travel through various toll plazas in the country. Here is how you can recharge.
- Visit the official website of SBI Bank FASTag.
- Login with the username and password that you received after FASTag was affixed to your vehicle.
- On the next page, select the “Tag Recharge” option.
- You will now be redirected to a new page where you can enter the amount and click on “Pay Now” to recharge.
- Select the payment method and a pop-up window will appear with detailed breakup of the charges. The payment methods accepted include NetBanking, Debit or Credit Card and UPI apps such as Bhim, Paytm, Google Pay.
- Check all the details and click on Pay Now.
- Once the transaction is complete, you will receive an SMS confirmation on your registered mobile number.
SBI Bank FASTag: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the validity of SBI Bank FASTag?
The validity of the SBI Bank FASTag is three years and this period is guaranteed.
What happens if the toll is deducted more than once at a toll gate?
If your toll is deducted more than once at a toll gate, you can call the SBI Bank FASTag toll free number 1800 11 0018 and the complain will then be raised with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and will be resolved accordingly.
What to do if your FASTag is not readable at the toll gate?
This is one of the many possibilities with the use of FASTag. If your FASTag is not readable then there is a possibility that the scanner at the toll gate is not working. You can mostly pay by cash and pass through the toll plaza. However, if FASTag of others is being read and yours is the one having the issue then you can ask the toll operator to use the handheld device to read the tag. Alternatively, you can pay by cash and pass through the toll plaza. Afterwards, you make sure to inform SBI Bank FASTag about this anomaly at the toll plaza.
Can you use SBI Bank FASTag outside India?
No. SBI Bank FASTag will work only in India.
What should you do in case of a dispute at the toll plaza?
At the toll plaza, if you find the FASTag scanner not working, it is recommended that you pay by cash and pass through. The customer care representative will then take up the issue with NPCI about the toll plaza where you had the issue. However, if your FASTag is not readable, do contact the customer care as mentioned above, who will escalate the issue with the issuer and its POS holder. You will get replacement tag free of cost in that case.
How to activate the RFID tag fitted in your new car?
Remember, the RFID tag or OEM tag fitted by your vehicle manufacturer cannot serve as replacement for the SBI Bank FASTag. Only the tag issued by SBI Bank can be used for electronic cashless toll payments in India.
How to check amount dedicated from your SBI Bank FASTag account?
You will receive a SMS notification your registered mobile number whenever an amount is deducted from your account. This will happen when you pass through a toll plaza. You can check history of transaction by logging in to the SBI FASTag portal.
How to claim refund in case of an incorrect deduction?
Call SBI Bank FASTagcustomer care toll-free number at 1800 11 0018. The customer care team will review, and if found incorrect, they will refund the incorrect charges.
What to do if your SBI Bank FASTag is lost or damaged?
In case of lost or damaged FASTag, call SBI Bank FASTag customer care toll-free number: 1800 11 0018 and request them to issue a new tag. Your old balance will be transferred to the new SBI Bank FASTag account.
What if your SBI Bank FASTag account balance goes below the required amount?
In case of a lower than required balance, you can approach any of the Point of Sale (POS) locations of the bank or use online portal to recharge your SBI Bank FASTag account.
How to surrender your SBI Bank FASTag?
In some case, you might not need the SBI Bank FASTag and would want to surrender it. In such a case, you are required to give a written request to surrender or cancel or close your SBI Bank FASTag along with the existing tag.
What happens in case of account holder’s demise?
In the case of demise of the account holder, the legal heirs of the customer can raise a claim for the refund of the tag amount by producing the death certificate and other required documents. You will need to surrender the FASTag if it damaged and a new tag will be issued after a fee is paid.
How to block the FASTag account, in case the vehicle is lost?
In case your vehicle is stolen, you can call up SBI customer care number and get your FASTag account blocked.