2013 wasn’t really a good economic year with the rising dollar-to-rupee price but nonetheless, we witnessed a wide range of smartphones being launched. Right from budget phones to premium phones; consumers were bombarded with all. Few phones were pricey when pitted against the competition. Eventually their prices fell down and now here’s the list of the top 5 phones that deserve a mention, now that their prices have come to palatable levels.
1) HTC One Dual SIM (Now Rs. 42,500)
This smartphone has stylish design and stunning looks thanks to an aluminium body that give it a premium feel. The phone sports a 4.7-inch Full HD screen with a pixel density of 468PPI. The phone is powered by a quad-core Snapdragon 600 chip running at 1.7GHz. Although it may not be the latest Snapdragon 800, it is still fairly fast to run Android smoothly.
Some unique features of this phone are:
1) BoomSound — Dual frontal stereo speakers powered by built-in amplifiers deliver bigger sound with less distortion and more detail. Its music quality is also enhanced for headphones by the Beats Audio technology.
2) Ultra-pixel camera with optical image stabilisation — Although it shoots at just 4 megapixels, the camera’s individual pixels are larger than many other 13MP camera phones, due to which it can capture up to 300% more light. The phone has the unique HTC Zoe feature which enables to capture 20 images in 3 seconds, creating a storyline of the moment. The smartphone has many editing features built-in.
3) BlinkFeed — With BlinkFeed, you don’t need to dig to find out what’s going on. Your live home screen can contain the latest updates on your friends, photos, social networks, calendar events, sports teams, music, news — Thus you are always socially active.
4) Infrared port — There is an Infrared transmitter at the top of the phone, and with the built-in software, it can function as a Universal remote.
5) Android Kitkat — The phone supports an upgrade to the latest Android 4.4 KitKat for a scrumptious experience.
2) HTC One Mini (Now Rs. 29,990)
The compact smartphone HTC One Mini has a couple of decent things going for it. In the world of ever-increasing screen sizes, a 4.3 inch (1280 x 720p) display is welcome. The design and looks are quite similar to its big brother — the HTC One, so you’ve got the premium feel thanks to the aluminium unibody. Because of the phone’s size, it’s great for single handed operation. The phone is powered by a 1.4 GHz , Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 Dual-Core processor with 1GB RAM.
Some unique features of this device are:
1) BoomSound — The phone has dual frontal speakers with built-in amplifiers to enhance everything so that you experience louder, fuller, richer sound for a more immersive experience. The phone has Beats-audio for additional music pleasure.
2) Ultrapixel camera — The phone sports a 4 UltraPixel camera captures video at a resolution of 1080p (Full HD).The phone even supports HTC Zoe for a better photography experience and makes sharing of photos easier. The secondary camera can capture videos at a resolution of 720p.
3) BlinkFeed — The all-in-one app which will update you with the current happenings at your own home screen.
3) Nokia Lumia 925 (Now Rs. 29,000)
If you are always obsessed with your pictures then Nokia Lumia 925 would be a good choice. The Lumia 925 boasts of Nokia’s PureView technology and Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) to give you the best photography experience. It is a successor to Lumia 920; the main difference between the two is that Lumia 925 is sleek, has a metal frame and polycarbonate back. The smartphone sports a 4.5 inch display at a resolution of 1280 X 768 pixels. It runs on the latest Windows Phone operating system and is powered by a 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon Dual-Core processor with 1GB RAM.
Special features of this phone are:
1) Excellent camera — Nokia Lumia 925 has a 8.7 megapixel camera, which supports Nokia’s new ProCam app. This app lets you capture photos like a professional photographer with minimum effort; thanks to easy control of the settings. The phone can record full HD videos at 1080p. Optical Image Stabiliser helps in capturing smoother videos with less shake. Low light photography is also good in this device.
2) Nokia MixRadio — An app that will play the music you love and you want to discover. It provides free streamed mixes of music created for your personal taste, that you just click and play. It also comes with Nokia Music app which helps you download lakhs of songs for free.
4) LG Optimus G Pro (Now Rs. 27,500)
The LG Optimus G Pro E988 is a premium phablet from the ‘other’ Korean smartphone maker. Much like the Samsung Galaxy Note II, the G Pro has a 5.5-inch display, but with a better 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution. It may not have a built-in Stylus like the Note, but the G Pro’s display is the high-sensitivity variety, allowing input even when you’re wearing gloves. It is powered by a 1.7GHz quad-core Snapdragon 600 chipset, 2GB of RAM and has 16GB of internal storage (along with a microSD card slot too). It comes with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, which as of today is a little outdated.
1) Great Screen — The phablet has a 5.5inches, 1920×1080 pixels Full HD IPS Display. The display is crisp which results in better performance in gaming and photography.
2) Good Camera — The smartphone has a 13 Megapixel rear camera and a 2.1Megapixel secondary camera, both capable of recording HD videos. The phone has a unique VR panorama and Dual Recording feature. The device also has a BSI sensor.
3) Big battery — The mammoth is powered by a 3140mAh battery which is decent enough to power this giant for one day under heavy usage.
4) Quick Remote — The phablet can be used to control a large variety of compatible devices, irrespective of their brand. Magic Remote Pad and Text Keypad features are integrated to provide the ultimate user experience when using Optimus G Pro as a remote control for LG Smart TVs released in 2012 and after.
5) Samsung S4 Mini (Now Rs. 21,300)
The leading Android smartphone maker launched a mini version of its flagship device soon after — Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. The phone has similar looks and design as its big brother. The phone has a compact size to make single handed operations easier and quicker. It has a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED display with a 960 x 540 pixel (qHD) resolution. It is powered by a dual-core 1.7 GHz Snapdragon 400 processor and 1.5GB of RAM. Internal storage is 8GB, out of which 5GB is available to the user. The phone has a 1900mAh battery.
Special features of this device are:
1) Camera — The mini has a 8 Megapixel rear camera and a 1.9 Megapixel front camera, both capable of HD recording. The camera is equipped with Geo-Tagging, Touch Focus, Face Detection, HDR, Panorama.
2) Samsung’s Software features — The smartphone runs on Android 4.2.2 with the TouchWiz UI which adds features like Smart Scroll, Sound & Shot, Group Play, Drama Shot. S-Travel, S-Health and Samsung Link etc.
3) InfraRed port — Allows you to control IR-based devices like televisions, home theatres and other devices from your phone.