- WhatsApp is expanding its data transfer feature from iPhone to the Google Pixel lineup today
- It was earlier available on Samsung devices running Android 10 and above
- Users can also transfer data from iPhones to new smartphones running Android 12 out of the box
WhatsApp chat history can now be transferred from iPhones to Google’s Pixel lineup of smartphones. The search engine giant announced the development in a blog post. In August this year, WhatsApp announced the chat migration feature from iPhones to Samsung Galaxy smartphones running Android 10 or above.
Google also announced that the migration feature will be available for all smartphones running Android 12 out-of-the-box. In a blog post, the company stated that it has worked with the WhatsApp team to make it easier to switch from iPhone to Android devices.
WhatsApp users can now transfer data from iPhone to Android 12 phones
Until the migration feature was announced by WhatsApp, users had to back up data like chat history, voice notes, and media files in Google Drive on Android devices. Hence, switching to a new phone with a different operating system made it difficult for users to transfer their WhatsApp data. With the WhatsApp data transfer feature rolled out to Samsung devices earlier and has now been extended to Google Pixel smartphones, migrating from an iPhone is no longer an issue.
In a blog post, Google said in a statement “Our team has worked hand-in-hand with WhatsApp to ensure your data remains protected throughout the transfer process, so no one else can ever access your WhatsApp information and files. Your WhatsApp chat history will simply be copied from your iPhone to your new Android phone, and we’ll automatically make sure you don’t receive new messages on the old device while the transfer is in progress.”
How to transfer WhatsApp account from iPhone to Android
All users need to transfer their WhatsApp data from an iPhone to Google Pixel smartphone and Android 12 device is a USB-C to Lightning cable. Follow the steps below to complete the migration process.
- Connect both phones with a USB-C to Lightning cable
- Once connected, Google will prompt the user to scan a QR code on the iPhone to launch WhatsApp and move data to the new device
- If there is a trouble scanning the QR code, users can open Whatsapp and head to Settings > Chats > Move Chats to Android