WhatsApp has become a lifeline of sorts for a lot of people during this pandemic. The social messaging platform owned by Facebook is no longer just a messaging service. It is where people go to share news, get latest information in the form of status updates and even make payments in markets like India.
During the pandemic, WhatsApp has gained more popularity and features like video calling have become extremely useful. While WhatsApp was designed as a way to connect people, it is even the platform through which business is conducted these days. In some cases, WhatsApp is where executives have been found to collude on pricing strategy. So, with such significance, the messages shared on the platform are important.
WhatsApp messages: how to backup and restore
Whether it is WhatsApp or any other online service, backing up your data is extremely important. These days, major technology companies allow you to download all of your data and in some cases, take it to other platforms seamlessly. WhatsApp also lets you backup your data and it does so in two forms.
One is called local backup which is done late at night and stored locally on your device. There is also an online backup which is done using a cloud service provider like Google Drive. It is not just about WhatsApp messages backup, you can also recover your deleted messages using this method.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android
These steps to recover your deleted WhatsApp will only work if you have already set up a backup. To check whether you have a local backup, click on the three dots at the top right corner. Now go to Settings then Chats and Chat backup and you will see Last Backup, which will show details of the local backup. Here is how to recover WhatsApp using local backup or Google Drive.
- Delete WhatsApp from your Android smartphone.
- Go to the Play Store and reinstall WhatsApp.
- Open the app and enter your phone number to verify.
- Now, a prompt will appear to restore your chats from local backup in case you reinstall the device on the same device.
- On a new device, you will see an option to restore using Google Drive. Please note that WhatsApp will let you restore from the latest method of backup.
- Tap on Restore.
- Click on Next to complete the process and get all your chats including messages and videos.
Now, your WhatsApp should have all the chats from your friends and businesses as it was last left by you.
How to backup WhatsApp messages using Google Drive
If you are wondering how to set up automatic backup using Google Drive then the process is simple and straightforward. Before you proceed with this step, do note that Google Drive backup is not end-to-end encrypted, like regular chat messages.
- Open WhatsApp and click on the three dots in the top right hand corner of the app.
- Now, click on “Settings” and select the “Chats” option.
- In the next screen, select Chat backup.
- You will now see a screen with the option called Google Drive Settings. Click on “Back up to Google Drive”.
- You will now option to back up to Google Drive in multiple different ways.
- You can either backup when you click on “Back up” button or select between daily, weekly and monthly backups.
- You can also choose between backing up over WiFi only or using cellular connection.