Wi-Fi password is very easy to forget and can cause inconvenience when you need to share it with a visitor or on a new device. This is especially true if you have set your password to something strong that includes special characters, case sensitive letter, and numbers. In such cases you’ll be stuck without being able to connect new devices to your router.
Also read: How to change Wi-Fi password: 6 easy steps
However, there are simple ways in which one can check their Wi-Fi password immediately. Users who have forgotten their passwords can check it easily on a mobile or personal computer. In case you’re wondering how to do so, here’s a step-by-step guide to check Wi-Fi passwords on Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices.
How to find Wi-Fi password on Windows?
It’s very easy to check a Wi-Fi password on a Windows laptop or desktop. Here are the steps to check Wi-Fi password on a Windows machine.
- Click on the Start menu
- Search for Network Status
- Alternatively, simply right-click on the Wi-Fi symbol in the bottom-right corner of the screen
- Click on Open Network & Internet Settings
- Click on the Change Adapter Options
- You’ll see a pop-up showing the Wi-Fi connection
- Double click on Wi-Fi network and then click on Wireless Properties
- You’ll now see Connection and Security tabs
- Go to Security tab
- Click on the box saying Show characters to see the password
How to find Wi-Fi password on macOS?
On macOS, users will need to access the Keychain Access app to know the password. This particular app stores all passwords that you enter on your MacBook or Mac. Here’s how to find out the Wi-Fi password using Keychain Access on macOS.
- Click on the Launchpad icon in dock
- You’ll find Keychain Access inside the Other folder
- You’ll see Passwords tab on top inside Keychain Access, click on it
- In the search bar, enter the name of the Wi-Fi network
- Once you see the name of the Wi-Fi network, double click on it
- Now, click on the Show password box
- You’ll be asked to enter the administrator user id and password
- Once you enter your system ID and password, you’ll see the Wi-Fi network password
How to find Wi-Fi password on Android?
Checking Wi-Fi password on an Android smartphone is extremely simple and straightforward. Follow the steps below on your smartphone to find out the Wi-Fi password.
- Open Settings on your Android mobile
- Go to Wi-Fi section
- You’ll see the connected Wi-Fi listed on the next page
- Click on the gear or lock icon next to the Wi-Fi name
- Now click on Share Password
- Your phone might ask for fingerprint or pattern authentication
- You’ll now see a QR code with the password written below
- You can scan the QR code directly or type and save the password
How to find Wi-Fi password on iOS?
On iOS devices to Keychain Access is required to check Wi-Fi password. However, the process is not quite as simple as macOS and you’ll need a MacBook. Here are the steps to check Wi-Fi passwords on iOS devices.
- Go to Settings on your iOS mobile
- Head to the iCloud section and turn on the Keychain option
- Now, head back to the main Settings menu and turn on the personal hotspot
- Connect your MacBook to your iPhone’s person hotspot
- Once connected, press CMD+space to pull up Spotlight search and type Keychain Access
- Search for the network for which you want to know the password
- You’ll see a popup showing you the Wi-Fi network details
- Click on Show password and enter administrator details to see the password